Section 2 ??

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Hello again.
Thanks for your help regarding medication for mam, now she is on Diazapam and we are keeping fingers crossed.
But yesterday her doctor in the hospital has said he wants to put her on a Section 2, apparently for the protection of the nursing staff. I am absolutely terrified that she might end up being permanently 'sectioned'......although doctor tells me that this will only be for 28 days and then will automatically come off the Section. Cant get out of my head that I will be losing control of the care of mam and handing it over permanently to 'others'. Dont know what to do, Im scared for both of us and dont want mam to become a zombie at the mercy of phychiatric staff. Am I worrying needlessly, or should I trust the doctor?
I didnt want her go into the hospital in the first place and now I feel that I have let her down. She would be moritified if she knew what was happening.
Feeling awful.
Glyn

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Glyn, You are so worried about your mother being `sectioned?` It must be dreadful to feel she is being taken away from you, and the control of her care is being taken away from you. But Glyn, she wouldn`t be where she is if you were able to cope. It is obvious that she needs more help than you can give her. Keep strong. I`m sure the doctors are working in her best interests. I hope the 28 day section 2 applies. All the best, Sylvia

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Hello Sylvia ...Thanks for your reply to my message ,,,,But mam was only taken into hospital originally for assessment ...and now I feel she may never get back home ...I would never have let her go in for assessment if I had known before hand that this was going to happen
Glyn

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Glyn. Perhaps in refusing her the chance of assessment, you may not have acted in HER best interests. Just make it clear to the medics how important she is to you.
Please let us know how she gets on . Take care, Sylvia x

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hello glyn. sorry you're having such an awful and worrying time. you might find this AS factsheet helpful:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring...Dementia_and_the_law/info_mentalhealthact.htm

maybe once the shock of this has settled a bit you could have another chat with the doctor and get a bit clearer information about why your mam is being sectioned? it would probably be a good idea to talk to the social worker involved - part of their role in all this is to look for the least restrictive alternative to sectioning, and I think (it's a long time since I was a social worker) they have a duty to discuss the process with the nearest relative.

you have various rights of appeal, so you're not powerless in this. you'll be clearer about whether you want to do this after you've discussed the reasons and options with the professionals concerned.

keep us posted.

Áine

kindheart

Jan 18, 2007
Hi Glyn

I can understand your concerns, my mum was in hospital for several weeks to be assessed, although she was never sectioned, the hospital did tell me the would if they deemed it necessary.

I think that maybe you need to speak to a mental health professional to help you understand what section 2 is and why it is needed. There is a crisis number you could obtain for your area and give them a ring.

I know when mum was in hospital I was very upset and confussed as it happened very quickly, I was given lots of information however due to my confussed and upset state I found it difficult to understand. I also felt that the hospital whilst they were very good with mum, were not very good at explaining things to me.

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
Putting aside the feelings from being sectioned...I'm sure I've read as far as funding for long term care goes ,if a section has been in place at any time then the funding is automatic.......when my mum was first in the hospital I was devastated and am still very unhappy with her overall treatment but try to look beyond today and realise that your options will change..hopefully. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we can only do what we think is the best at the time with the knowledge we have.
On Friday I was so low but a weekend has put perspective on the situation and so has a large dose of talking with my brother and family.....the wine has helped too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7