Section 2 vs DoLS

andyst13

Jan 31, 2020
Afternoon everyone,
My Mum was placed on Section 2 on 14th October in an MH unit due to very aggressive behaviour at her care home. The doctors are trying her on Respiridone & Diazapam at the moment to see if this helps calm her down. I spoke to her nurse after this weeks' round and they are going to increase her dosage and are thinking they might move her to DoLS at the next meeting, as long as her aggression lessens. I am not a fan of the effects this medication is having on Mum; slurred speech and confusion, but if they give her some calm and hopefully some sleep at night, then I will take that.

My question is, what is the difference or the criteria they use to assess when a patients moves from a section to DoLS or the section 2 moves to section 3? I have had a look via Google and this website, but can't seem to find the information that I need. I want to make sure that they are moving Mum onto DoLS for the right reasons and not a financial based decision (i.e. if they move to section 3, then she is entitled to 117 after care)

Many thanks as always.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry you haven`t heard from anyone yet @andyst13 and I can`t comment on this which is not in my experience. Hopefully someone will come along eventually and be able to clarify this for you.

Please contact the Dementia Connect support line

Doodles87

Sep 4, 2018
I’m in exactly the same boat and would be really interested to gain the section 3 criteria. Good luck with your journey

andyst13

Jan 31, 2020
Thank you @Grannie G for your reply. Much appreciated.

@Doodles87 , I have search high & low and cannot find any information on DoLS vs Sectioning. It's all so confusing. Just want to make sure the right decisions are made for my Mum. Good luck on your journey too.

andyst13

Jan 31, 2020
Thank you @nitram it has been very helpful. It hasn't given me a definitive answer, but I feel I am better informed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti