1. beatrice 22

beatrice 22 Registered User

Mar 17, 2013
    tyneside
    hello, looking for some advice, husband has been in respite care for 3wks, have a better interest meeting on Monday to see if it is best for him to stay in care permanently, social worker says he might not be able to keep his state pension! was told by cpn because he is on 117 he keeps his pensions..social worker has got me crazy...would appreciate your help thanks B..

2. Onlyme

Onlyme Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    UK
    #2 Onlyme, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. supporter1

supporter1 Registered User

Sep 14, 2012
    Think SW may not have things quite right ... interestingly we had the same reaction from SW with dad and I had to enlighten them to 117 funding. Once accepted for 117 funding with a dementia diagnosis I think it stays as it is deemed to be a condition that inevitably deterioates so the person os always going to need care to prevent the return to mental health NHS care.

Probably just SW not quite understanding the 117 funding as it is quite rare in the big scheme of things ..

4. Wirralson

Wirralson Account Closed

May 30, 2012
    S117 funding for dementia is, as you say, quite rare - in Mental Health cases it is more often paid for different care packages for Bipolar 2, Schizophrenia etc, and is more associated with chronic disabling physical conditions requiring, in effect, hospital standard nursing at home.

My mother was on s117, and even in dementia cases, entitlement is supposed to be reviewed annually. While i almost all cases I'd expect funding to continue, it would be unwise to assume that this would apply in every single case.

W