Second Wave!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I am watching channel 4 news and I am horrified at the suggestion of a second wave of Coronavirus so soon after the first wave. I'm no longer a carer but I am horrified at the thought. One of the things I was looking forward to was being able to play the Violin at dad's old care home and donating some books and jigsaws! Also on mum's forthcoming anniversary I want to be able to place flowers on both their graves and see dad's tombstone for the first time.

MaNaAk

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
It is very worrying as don’t want the pressures of anther lock down and just hope that the so called Track and trace can be improved to include an app and that vulnerable people can get tested about once every week or 10 days just to be on the safe side.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No country has managed to get a mobile app working satisfactory.

A major problem is the sensitivity for activation which has to happen within a set distance (2m or whatever) but not at a significantly greater one.

With a variety of phones with an even bigger variety of operating systems this is proving insurmountable.
Purpose designed devices would be a impracticable solution.

I think we are in for a succession of localised spikes rather than a second wave, it's either this or back to lockdown.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
You could be right @nitram after all we've had Leicester, Blackburn but then I think we might have to look at the possibility of a second wave in case. Hopefully the treatment is better now and it is good to see the death rate going down.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Just watching the news and all I can say is feel sorry for those of us living in the North West. It must be very confusing trying to find out what you can and can't do.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Further to
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/second-wave.123370/post-1735954 .
a new app which does not require communication between two smartphones is being trialled.

On entry to a building there will be a barcode displayed which people can scan with their phone.
This will create a list of people present in a building within a defined time frame.
If anybody logged as being the building develops covid symptoms within x days everybody on the list produced by scanning the barcode will be asked to take a test.

Not sure if people will be asked to log out of the building by rescanning the barcode on exit

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I agree with @nitram that there will be more localized spikes than a second wave. We are still in the first wave, I believe.

Where I live, it is mandatory to wear a mask in all public places and on public transit and to practice social distancing. We have just moved to stage 3 today, which now allows gatherings of up to 50.

There are still idiots around - last weekend, when the gatherings were to be no more than 10, there was a 200 person house party held. The neighbours called it in, and the owners of the house are facing a $100,000 fine. That's close to £56,000. This party was held in a very wealthy area of town, with large properties so I guess that's why they thought they could get away with it. Serve them right.

In my opinion, it is this sort of entitled behaviour that is causing the continued spikes. Although the cases have dropped and we seem to have a handle on it, I think we have to remain vigilant. I also suspect that mask-wearing in public will become more of a thing than it was previously.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Whilst queueing to get into Tesco's today a lady came up to me and asked if I was in the queue. She wasn't standing two metres away so I had to look away from her and point at the stickers that Tesco had put on the pavement as guidance but she didn't understand. When I saw her in the shop I explained that I was trying to maintain social distancing and I tried not to breathe on her.

MaNaAk

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I live in the NW in the lockdown area and I feel quite angry that i am affected when I have followed all the guidance to the letter yet obviously other people have ignored them. My mums care home has two positive cases so was locked down a couple of days ago, obviously that adds to my anxieties.

My son was planning to come and visit me but that is now cancelled, he would have to stop the night as he lives a long way away and we cannot even have another household visit in our gardens! I've not seen him since Christmas as his Mother's Day visit was also cancelled.

But if I want to, I can still meet with five friends in a public outdoor space such as a pub garden - mad!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think its because of extremes. one minute a group of 6 can meet in the park and then there are real lives matter generating huge amount of people mixing no social distancing to going to bournemouth beach almost sitting on each other. its not consistent with each other. then there are people that think the rules dont apply to them. it all comes back to the melting pot and a few tiny different ingredients and off it goes again. and making rules up contradict them then make some more up. its almost do as i say and not what i do

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Hi I’m from the northwest as well. So saddened by the lockdown. Just started to meet up with friends and weekly visits from my children and grandchildren were on again.
Back to square one ? just me and oh and I’ve no need to tell you how lonely that can be
Can’t even form a bubble as we are a couple, we may appear a couple but basically it’s just me! I think the bubble was created for people on their own to protect mental health well maybe someone should have thought about carers of people with dementia.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
We in Leicester who are privileged to share the restriction of the north plus lockdown til tomorrow, are happy and sad and mad!
Happy, my hairdresser will open and mum and I can get our hair done, poor mum had her hair blow dried every week, now after 19 weeks it’s well you can guess.
Sad, my friends had started to share my garden some afternoons with social distancing and laughs. We could meet in the park amongst the inner city dwellers....pass on that one
Mad, at the people in my road who had a party til 2 in the morning. It was reported by other residents. I have seen a video and there was no social distancing.
This is the future unless people get it into their heads...face....(wear a mask ) hands (wash them) space. (allow 2m) and then get a test if symptoms.
I know it’s not always easy to get a test but it’s better than it was.
Rant over, it’s just that I feel so annoyed that because of people flouting the rules the rest of us are stuck with harsher penalties

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Hi I’m from the northwest as well. So saddened by the lockdown. Just started to meet up with friends and weekly visits from my children and grandchildren were on again.
Back to square one ? just me and oh and I’ve no need to tell you how lonely that can be
Can’t even form a bubble as we are a couple, we may appear a couple but basically it’s just me! I think the bubble was created for people on their own to protect mental health well maybe someone should have thought about carers of people with dementia.

I agree @Janey B, the bubble criteria is something I’ve thought was unfair to Carers living with the person they care for.
Single people with children under 18 years old can form a bubble so why not include other categories to help their wellbeing.
The powers that be have no comprehension of how their decisions affect people.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Which is why the powers that be should do work experience in a care home with dementia patients or with a care company. If they did the latter they would be sent to our homes and get some insight into what have to put up with. Of course it would be difficult with Covid but maybe they would think harder about social care.

MaNaAk