Second Opinion


Registered User
Mar 13, 2006
hello everyone.

Ive been wondering if anyone on TP has gone for a second opinion?

and if so how do you go about it?

Im not happy with mums diagnosis and would love to get a second opinion but

just dont know how to do it?

I have been to my own GP and she said she would write to the consultant but

nothing has come of that.

Either she didnt write or he chose to ignore it :confused:

any advice would be helpfull

many thanks

donna x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Hello Donna.

To get a second opinion you need to ask your GP to refer you to a consultant other than the one you have seen. The GP does the referral, not the first consultant.

Hope you are well.

Love xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Donna. My general understanding of 'second opinions' is that they are generated through a GP. Problem with dementia is that consultant psycho-geriatricians are generally quite thin on the ground ..... and so securing even a 'first opinion' can be a battle - or at least a test of patience to secure one.

My understanding is that your mum is quite young and, like many here, may not fall into 'geriatric' care - in which case - what type of consultancy are we looking at here?

I'm sorry, I don't know the answers ....... just hope someone comes along soon who can help you more with practical advice,

Hugs and loves, Karen, x


Registered User
Mar 13, 2006
thankyou both for you replies xx

Ive been to my GP and asked for a second opinion and she did say she would write but nothing happened?

i know i need to go back and ask again so thats my next move, but if there is another way anyone knows about as in going private??

would i need to see my GP about a private consultation?

thanks again

donna xxx


Registered User
Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire

You do need referal from your GP to a consultant, but if you know the name of a consultant you would like to use then your GP should refer you to the consultant of your choice.

Do you know anyone who has already had a second opinion?

I haven't had to do this with my parents, but I should think there is maybe a list somewhere, like the Law society when you are looking for a specialist solicitor.

Take care


Registered User
Jan 31, 2004
near London
Tender Face said:
My understanding is that your mum is quite young and, like many here, may not fall into 'geriatric' care - in which case - what type of consultancy are we looking at here?
this was certainly the case with my Jan.

She was 50 and they sent us all around the rigging before we ever got to the right consultant because, of course, she neither fitted the profile for a geriatric consultant, nor was she of an age to get dementia [huh!] so that wasn't even considered as a possible condition.

Given the proportionally high number of young onset people on TP methinks some rethinking on the part of all concerned is necessary in the area of demographics.


Registered User
Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Donna

First of all I would write to Rhondda Cynnon Taff Health Board and request a copy of your mums medical records from the hospital, as you know I work for Gwent NHS Trust, and they charge £50:00, and I think thats the maximum. The letter will have to be signed by dad as mums next of kin, but with freedom of information they cannot refuse.

Once you have these, you can then see what has been done, not done, said and not said, and what if any, diagnosis they have come up with. I think this is your first starting point. If there are any parts of the records you cannot read say due to bad hand writing, you are within your rights to ask for a typed transcription of these sections.

I would go through the notes carefully, this will give you a good indication of what tests have been carried out, and more to the point, what hasn't been carried out.

Armed with this information, you can then go back to your GP and state because you are not happy with X Y and Z, you are asking for a second opinion.

I am very surprised mum has never been referred to UHW, and I think this would be your next step.

If you need any help, you know all you have to do is shout.


Cate xxxxxx


Registered User
Sep 29, 2007
hi, put it in writing to your G.P that you want a second opinion and send the letter by recorded delivery. It's worth a try.


Registered User
Feb 17, 2006

Second opinion

If you are having difficulty obtaining a second opinion, you can contact your local PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) or your local Citizens Advice Bureau (see Selected Links).

Seeing that you mother doctor taking a long time, as I remember you asking this question a very long time ago , sounds like the only way forward now is Complaints.

But you can forewarn Doctor if you like

cariad hi, put it in writing to your G.P that you want a second opinion and send the letter by recorded delivery. It's worth a try

Write in letter to doctor doctor a time limit to do referral for second opinion, from date of your letter to doctor . if its not done by the date you given make the Complaint..... photo cope all letter to doctor
Last edited:

Margaret W

Registered User
Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi dmc,

I wonder what you are not happy with - either that your mum has been diagnosed with dementia and you don't agree, or has NOT been diagnosed with dementia? In our case it was the latter, and we knew it wasn't correct. I would have sought a second opinion if it were not for the fact that the police found her in the street at 2 a.m. waiting for a bus to town.

Once the police are involved, things tend to move, but it was a dangerous situation for mum to have been in, and I wish I'd sought the second opinion earlier.

Good luck with your quest. Do what you think is right.



Registered User
Mar 13, 2006
Hello all

many thanks for all the replies,

Im at the moment talking to my dad as i think if he asked for the second opinion we might get somewhere, as ive already brought the subject up with my doctor.


My mum's dementia was brought on as she suffered brain damage when she had a heart attack and was starved of oxygen. that was july 2004
Her consultant told us in february of 2006 that she had a very progressive form of dementia similar to CJD and she would not last the year out.
the following september during another meeting the consultant told us that mum had proved them wrong and that he couldnt tell us now how long she had left or what type of dementia she has!
that is a short version of mums situation, perhaps a second opinion wouldnt be able to tell us any more than we already know but i feel we owe it to my mum to try and find out a bit more.
donna x

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Latest member