Searching for recommendations for EMI residential care

sylviamckay

Feb 22, 2007
St. Helens
Hi. I am based in St. Helens and looking for an EMI residential home for my mother. At present she is in a care home, but I'm not happy with the care she is receiving. Can anybody recommend any homes in St. Helens or the wider area?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to request this, if not can anyone point me to a suitable forum where such advice may be available?

Many thanks
Sylvia

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sylvia

Welcome to TP.

You have posted in the right place, but it is a rule that recommendations for care homes are not posted on the open forum, but via personal message (PM). This is because people's experiences vary, and also a home can change hands and the quality of care suffer.

You haven't done anything wrong, this is just to warn you that any replies you get will be by PM.

I hope someone can help you.

Good luck,

sylviamckay

Feb 22, 2007
St. Helens
Thankyou both for the prompt replies!!

I do know of the CSCI reports, however from my experience so far the reports don't seem to reflect the reality of the care. Have other people had similar experiences?

Thanks
Sylvia

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
the reports don't really give you a 'feel' for the place. I always recommend visiting and NOT booking an appointment first. Just turn up and ask if you can look around. They shouldn't have a problem with that (unless it's the middle of the night of course :eek:) Ask lots of questions, make a list before you go if necessary. If you're not sure then go back again and have another look. It is a difficult decision to have to make, speaking as someone who had to find a home twice within the space of a year.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Sylvia, "I totally endorse the 'martini in one hand'"......

and also endorse everything Brenda has said. Nothing beats time taken to visit homes in your area unannounced.

Thinking of you in this quest, but remember, there are some very good homes out there.........just takes time to get the feel of somewhere 'right' for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sylvia,
I`m afraid I agree, the reports don`t always reflect the quality of care.
I can only endorse Brenda`s advice and visit as many homes as you can, unannounced, until you find one that gives you the right feeling.
There are many on TP who have been able to find highly satisfactory homes, so they are out there somewhere.
Good luck, Sylvia x