1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Searching for recommendations for EMI residential care

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by sylviamckay, Feb 22, 2007.

1. sylviamckay

sylviamckay Registered User

Feb 22, 2007
    St. Helens
    Hi. I am based in St. Helens and looking for an EMI residential home for my mother. At present she is in a care home, but I'm not happy with the care she is receiving. Can anybody recommend any homes in St. Helens or the wider area?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to request this, if not can anyone point me to a suitable forum where such advice may be available?

Many thanks
    Sylvia

2. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi Sylvia

Welcome to TP.

You have posted in the right place, but it is a rule that recommendations for care homes are not posted on the open forum, but via personal message (PM). This is because people's experiences vary, and also a home can change hands and the quality of care suffer.

You haven't done anything wrong, this is just to warn you that any replies you get will be by PM.

I hope someone can help you.

Good luck,

3. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Hi Sylvia and welcome to TP

I am sorry that you are not happy with the care your mother is receiving. I know how upsetting that can be. Have you looked at the CSCI website at all? The CSCI publish regular reports on all care homes in the UK and you may find looking at those useful.

http://www.csci.org.uk/registeredservicesdirectory/rsquicksearch.asp

If you have any other questions, then ask away

Brenda

4. sylviamckay

Feb 22, 2007
    St. Helens
    Thankyou both for the prompt replies!!

I do know of the CSCI reports, however from my experience so far the reports don't seem to reflect the reality of the care. Have other people had similar experiences?

Thanks
    Sylvia

5. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    the reports don't really give you a 'feel' for the place. I always recommend visiting and NOT booking an appointment first. Just turn up and ask if you can look around. They shouldn't have a problem with that (unless it's the middle of the night of course :eek:) Ask lots of questions, make a list before you go if necessary. If you're not sure then go back again and have another look. It is a difficult decision to have to make, speaking as someone who had to find a home twice within the space of a year.

6. sylviamckay

Feb 22, 2007
    St. Helens
    thanks Brenda.

like the motto by the way!

7. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Hi Sylvia, "I totally endorse the 'martini in one hand'"......

and also endorse everything Brenda has said. Nothing beats time taken to visit homes in your area unannounced.

Thinking of you in this quest, but remember, there are some very good homes out there.........just takes time to get the feel of somewhere 'right' for you.

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Dear Sylvia,
    I`m afraid I agree, the reports don`t always reflect the quality of care.
    I can only endorse Brenda`s advice and visit as many homes as you can, unannounced, until you find one that gives you the right feeling.
    There are many on TP who have been able to find highly satisfactory homes, so they are out there somewhere.
    Good luck, Sylvia x