Search for a book with techniques

Danielhori

Jan 26, 2020
Hi, I am a new member here, and I am writing for my parents. my father has just turned 80 and for the last year or so has been suffering from spouts of memory loss. He could not remember my sisters name. Or how to get to a certain place in the car. His mind would go blank. Now the problem is they live in Portugal on their own. And my mum is his own care giver. they have just spent some time with me in Italy and I got my dad to have a visit with a psychiatrist. We were told he doesn’t have dementia or Alzheimer’s. Just old age. He has given him some medication to help him be more alert which has helped a lot. He is much more interactive with everyone. But still has mental blocks with names etc. Every so often. I was wondering if there are any books my mum could read that would teach her techniques in retraining the brain to remember things.

Many thanks in advance

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Danielhori and welcome to Dementia Talking Point

Im sorry that no-one has replied to your thread, but unfortunately I dont think that what you are looking for exists. Usually, it is impossible to retrain the brain once something has been lost.

I must say that I was surprised that your father saw a psychiatrist about his memory loss - usually it is a neurologist that makes a diagnosis of dementia. Did he have an MRI scan?