screams and shouts using hoist

Kizzieangel

Feb 15, 2010
:(Hi Please can any one advise me how to get Millie used to being hoisted. She cannot follow instructions or support her weight. We need to use a hoist but she shouts and screams when we try. Any suggestions welcomed

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi,a bit of a difficult one!Have you checked the obvious first,is Millie in pain,is the sling the right size,not cutting in etc.Does Millie only cry out when using the hoist or whenever she is moved.If she is afraid of the hoist maybe try some distraction.You may never resolve this one but anything is worth a try,good luck.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Kizzie

Can you give us some idea of the circumstances in which the hoist is being used?
Is it something new being used in a domestic family home (I'm thinking perhaps some training help needed?)
or is Millie in a care home environment, but only just having to use a hoist (therefore maybe frightened because it's unfamiliar).
How many people are trying to operate the hoist? (do you need more help at those times?)

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Kizzieangel,
She cannot follow instructions or support her weight. We need to use a hoist but she shouts and screams when we try. Any suggestions welcomed
I am interested to learn what sort of hoist you are using, I am wondering whether you really mean a hoist or is it perhaps a stand aid? When you use a hoist there should be no problem with supporting or following instructions, she does not have to be able to do any of it.
As Lynne says have you been trained in using the hoist and is there always two of your operating it? Give us a few more details and we will be able to help you. I use one 3 times daily and have done for 4 years, so I would say I am quite proficient and will hopefully be able to help you.

Kizzieangel

Feb 15, 2010
Hi, there are always two people who are trained carers. Millie is lives at home with her daughter and husband and never crys when lifted by us. She hates the hoist (a mobile hoist that fully lifts her from the floor) and does not like the slings. She does not seem in pain but it is difficult to tell. I think it is fear and anxiety. It is very distressing for us which is why we have abandoned the hoist and lifted her. We cannot continue to lift her as she cannot weight bear through her legs. Thanks for your help.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Kizzieangel,

It is well over two years now that Lionel has needed to be hoisted in order to be moved. He cried and screamed in the beginning and it was so very hard for the carers.

He is put into a full body sling, somewhat like a sleeping hammock, but even now does not like the sensation of the transfer. He is more accepting these days, but has had several seizures over this time that have robbed him of all abilities.

I think a lot depends on the type of dementia, and what is going on in their minds.

Please let us know how things progress. I feel for you.