Screaming Inside

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
In normal language, self-funding and private funding would mean the same thing. In technical language they mean something different. Private means you are entirely on your own in agreeing a fee with, and paying it directly to, the home. Self-funding means the social services agree the fee and collect the appropriate amount of money from you and pay it to the home.

Petrus, thank you for that explanation, I must confess I didn't understand the difference between self- and private-funding.

Jennifer, I don't think you have to have an LA contract in Scotland, it's just advisable. If you take out a direct contract with a NH, it now appears that the LA is within its rights to refuse to pay for personal care, whereas with a contract, you only pay the difference.

As a point of interest, I received a contract from our LA last week saying they would pay the NH, and would bill me for my share. Two days later I received a contract from the NH, enclosing a bill for John's first month's stay!

I rang the NH, they had a contract from LA saying I would be paying direct. Fortunately I had already signed and sent back my LA contract.

A mistake? Possibly! It could be just a coincidence that the personal care judgement had just been made. It could be that I just have a nasty suspicious mind!:eek:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Petrus, thank you for that explanation, I must confess I didn't understand the difference between self- and private-funding.

so was I yesterday . glad you said that Hazel ..........them thought Maybe :confused: it when someone is part funding they own they own home , but do not have Saving over the limit of mean tested by SS .

So SS pay then Direct payment they care packet till they go in to care home full time , then have to sell they home to fund payments in care home . so became self funded

where private-funding is they have saving over mean testing for SS own they home also , so get no help at all from SS finically

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Margaret W said:
I don't understand your reference to direct payments, cos if she is self-funding there are no payments other than ours.

When Petrus referred to direct payments he was talking about respite (i.e a short term placement for someone who normally resides at home), which may be funded using direct payments.

Hazel, yes I should have clarified that "have to". Not "have to" in the legal requirement sense, but defintely "have to" if you want to get what you're entitled to.

Petrus while I have no doubt that the person/LA you are dealing with uses this definition of "self-funding". However while CRAG and the Department of Health continue to use the term in the sense that most of us would use it, I wouldn't say that such usage by your LA constitutes accepted practice, except within your own LA.

Also, from what you say, all your discussions with them have been in the context of respite. Sadly, most people who need a permanent placement and who will be paying the fees out of their own assets will be hard pressed to get the time of day from social services, let alone this sort of "supported contract". I would be more than delighted if this happened on a regular basis and I know such a set-up has been proposed as a way to ensure that such self-funded/full fee paying clients are protected from unfair contracts and unreasonable fee increases. As it stands, however, it is nothing more than one of many such proposals. Now it may be that your LA has taken this step proactively, and if so, well done them. I do wonder though, if you approached them for a permanent placement rather than a temporary one, whether they would be equally helpful.

Petrus

Aug 7, 2007
Northumberland
Completion

Simply to say that I have just been e-mailed by the care manager telling me that J's respite care is booked exactly as I have previously described and the approach would also work for an eventual permanent placement.

As I have previously described, this is in line with government documentation. We need a society that will work to get such treatment throughout the country.

For me, this subject is now closed.

ellie 123

May 25, 2006
Oh guys I've just typed out an update for you all and I've lost it and I'm too tired to do it all again.

So just to say, leaving for mum's tomorrow - SW left me with no choice - no computer up there, so will update when I get back.

love ellie x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6