scary day

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My mother fell but seemed fine after it, she walked a little bit and then just went lifeless, very stiff, her eyes stayed open, her mouth puffed out and then the air left. Honestly thought she was dead. All we cold do was lie her on the floor. SHe started to respond again after about half a minute while we were on to ambulance. Brain scan, urine and bloods all good. They thought it sounded like a seizure but no official answer.

She has myoclonic jerks which have been getting worse. Was it simply a fainting episode even though she hasn't fainted before and was just scarier because her eyes stayed open?

Home now after a day in hospital where she was trying to get in and out of bed, wanted to go home, confused by me and my sister as we were taking turns due to one visitor only rule for winter. The scan was traumatic as she was trying to get up during it.The noise and everything was too much. Glad shes home and hope we will be ok the next few days.

on the form they sent to the gp it says myoclonic jerks or seizures? if the gp wants to follow up on it.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has seizures and I must say that this does sound like a seizure.
Im glad she is improving and is home now. That must be a relief to you.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I am so sorry to hear this. I would have been scared out of my wits!

You did the right thing to have her flat on the floor and call for help. If someone has fallen or fainted or loss consciousness you don't want them sitting up, get their head down.

I know what A&E and scans are like with my mother with dementia (torturous doesn't begin to describe it) and I am sorry. I am also sorry the idiot staff didn't make an exception for your mother with dementia and allow you both in the room. Hospitals are confusing and no place for our loved ones with dementia, that's for sure.

Will you call the GP tomorrow and follow up with them? Or do you have to see some other physician? I would definitely let the GP know. There still could be some reason for her fall that didn't show up yet (like an infection or a blood pressure problem) that the GP could keep an eye on. It is so hard to know. I hope you can sleep tonight and here are some (((hugs))) in case you can use them.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I couldn't type it the first time cos I was gutted and ashamed but was told today she has shingles. Thought they were bed sores but it really spread over the night and she was picking at it. Was going to the doc tomorrow for it but they were questioning it today and really felt like I had totally neglected her.

We have also been reported to social services because of this and a fall at Christmas. Nothing happened before then. All we can do is be honest and hopefully they can she she is well taken care and house is adapted as needed.

When she broke her wrist at Christmas, the following two or so weeks she was trying to take off cast, agitated, going to toilet in odd places etc. It was only in the last week she has come around a bit and was doing well. She was so tired and bothered before then that we weren't going after her about stuff as much so maybe we weren't as observant as we should have been. I don't know.

Last edited:

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My OH has seizures and I must say that this does sound like a seizure.
Im glad she is improving and is home now. That must be a relief to you.

thanks. Yes, we think it was a seizure. It looked a lot worse than a faint. How do you cope with them-do you ring ambulances everytime?

We know now her brain scan, bloods and urine are clear so if it happened again tomorrow, would we call ambulance?Or do we wait and see does she recover?Would be slow to repeat today but its hard to know.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
thanks. Yes, we think it was a seizure. It looked a lot worse than a faint. How do you cope with them-do you ring ambulances everytime?

We know now her brain scan, bloods and urine are clear so if it happened again tomorrow, would we call ambulance?Or do we wait and see does she recover?Would be slow to repeat today but its hard to know.
I dont call an ambulance when OH has a seaizure unless he injures himself because there is nothing that A&E can do about it. If he doesnt come round properly I have rescue medication, but thats only because I have been caring for him for a long time and I know the signs. If she has a seizure and doesnt come round properly, thats the time to call an ambulkance.

I note you have said that youve just discovered that she has shingles - something like that could easily have triggered off a seazure. I do hope she gets better soon - shingles is horrible. Dont be ashamed, I dont think many people would have spotted shingles - we are not doctors.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Please don't be ashamed about the shingles infection. You didn't cause it to happen and we arent doctors and we also aren't psychic. If only my crystal ball worked, I would be a much better carer! I'm joking but please don't berate yourself with recriminations.

Something like shingles could easily cause a fall and/or a seizure so that may be what happened. I can't advise about the seizures but am sure you will hear from others who have experience of this.

Look, falls happen, and not all of them can be prevented. You can do some things to help (remove obvious trip hazards) but falls will happen. They can happen with you right there holding onto the person. Falls happen at home, in hospital, and in care home and nursing homes. Again, please don't reproach yourself over this.

I read something today that resonates with me and maybe it will be helpful: not guilt, but regret.

Or maybe not. Please hang in there.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
What on earth do you mean that you have been reported to SS. What have you done wrong? Nothing that I can see. You didn’t give her shingles. You didn’t make her fall. I don’t see what it has to do with them unless they are being asked to give you more help.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I am guessing the a report has gone to the safeguarding team at SS because of the hospital admission? There are probably slightly different rules for care homes, but each time my mother has fallen at the care home and been admitted to hospital (broken pelvis, and broken hip), the SS safeguarding team have automatically been alerted. They speak to the care home manager and also call me to check I've been fully informed and have no concerns, but they also check if any adaptations are needed to her care (last time we agreed my mother would move to a level-access room as she was increasingly wobbly). Presumably for totallyconfused's mother, SS will be visiting to see if they can offer any help, and maybe asking for an OT referral. I was quite alarmed the first time they rang, but I know now it's routine.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I couldn't type it the first time cos I was gutted and ashamed but was told today she has shingles. Thought they were bed sores but it really spread over the night and she was picking at it. Was going to the doc tomorrow for it but they were questioning it today and really felt like I had totally neglected her.

We have also been reported to social services because of this and a fall at Christmas. Nothing happened before then. All we can do is be honest and hopefully they can she she is well taken care and house is adapted as needed.

When she broke her wrist at Christmas, the following two or so weeks she was trying to take off cast, agitated, going to toilet in odd places etc. It was only in the last week she has come around a bit and was doing well. She was so tired and bothered before then that we weren't going after her about stuff as much so maybe we weren't as observant as we should have been. I don't know.
Shingles is sometimes not in our minds as lay people non medical...years ago my 10 yr old daughter had what I thought was excema on her rib line..it wouldn't clear with creams only after a GP 2 weeks later tell me it was shingles. Last year an terrible constant headache forced me after 2 weeks to go to the gp...I had a spotty rash on one side of face ...glands were up...just thought I was run down...but it was facial shingles. Don't feel guilty and the SS referral is probably just standard procedure.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I am guessing the a report has gone to the safeguarding team at SS because of the hospital admission? There are probably slightly different rules for care homes, but each time my mother has fallen at the care home and been admitted to hospital (broken pelvis, and broken hip), the SS safeguarding team have automatically been alerted. They speak to the care home manager and also call me to check I've been fully informed and have no concerns, but they also check if any adaptations are needed to her care (last time we agreed my mother would move to a level-access room as she was increasingly wobbly). Presumably for totallyconfused's mother, SS will be visiting to see if they can offer any help, and maybe asking for an OT referral. I was quite alarmed the first time they rang, but I know now it's routine.

This makes me feel better. Had they explained it this way I would have felt better but It was just "1st the wrist and now this"

Something happens to me in hospital/a&e when you are waiting hours I just go a tad dazed and so was confused. One visitor at a time so was hard being questioned on your own when my sister and I have always been a team on this.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Shingles is sometimes not in our minds as lay people non medical...years ago my 10 yr old daughter had what I thought was excema on her rib line..it wouldn't clear with creams only after a GP 2 weeks later tell me it was shingles. Last year an terrible constant headache forced me after 2 weeks to go to the gp...I had a spotty rash on one side of face ...glands were up...just thought I was run down...but it was facial shingles. Don't feel guilty and the SS referral is probably just standard procedure.

thanks for this, It makes me feel better. We are not doctors. The doc said these are shingles as if it was obvious and that they are very painful for her. Shes been given a ton of painkillers for the week.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Please don't be ashamed about the shingles infection. You didn't cause it to happen and we arent doctors and we also aren't psychic. If only my crystal ball worked, I would be a much better carer! I'm joking but please don't berate yourself with recriminations.

Something like shingles could easily cause a fall and/or a seizure so that may be what happened. I can't advise about the seizures but am sure you will hear from others who have experience of this.

Look, falls happen, and not all of them can be prevented. You can do some things to help (remove obvious trip hazards) but falls will happen. They can happen with you right there holding onto the person. Falls happen at home, in hospital, and in care home and nursing homes. Again, please don't reproach yourself over this.

I read something today that resonates with me and maybe it will be helpful: not guilt, but regret.

Or maybe not. Please hang in there.

The physio did say it will be a case of turn for a second and she will be on the ground.

there are no trip hazards, 2nd handrail on stairs, handrails in bathroom, asked the public nurse about a rail for the bed as we were a tad worried but she said the occupational therapist will check when he calls but my mother may not need one yet, we have ordered gates for the stairs, we have put up railings all over the garden, by the front door etc,Shes been given a walking stick which she doesn't like to use but we make her use it outdoors.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
You are doing everything you can. You could glue yourself to her side 24/7 and that still would not prevent falls, so please try not to berate yourself.

Again, we aren't doctors and can't be expected to diagnose everything! If the doctor was rude or unkind to you, shame on them. Doctors aren't perfect and they make mistakes, too. I used to work for a dermatologist (skin doctor) and he would sometimes see someone with shingles whose GP, or even A&E, had failed to diagnose properly. It happened once with a person with chicken pox as well. Stuff happens and we just do the best we can.

I'm sending kind thoughts and some (((hugs))) your way.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Shingles, no one can help it. I had it last year, didn’t even know I’d ever had chickenpox, but I must have at some stage. My cousins wife diagnosed mine, she only a six hour drive away. But she has experience, three sons, all of whom have had it and a mother who had it 3/4 times!

You don’t want straight painkillers for shingles, you want something for nerve pain. Gabapantine and progabalin are two, can’t remember the other one. But I already knew that none of them worked for me. Anti-itch is a necessity, I think. I found a rather expensive, but effective one. If you would like details, pm me.

Falls, I am very careful re falls, but I managed last week to make up for the last 6 fall free years. Found out today the pain can last another three weeks!

Good luck!

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
The physio did say it will be a case of turn for a second and she will be on the ground.

there are no trip hazards, 2nd handrail on stairs, handrails in bathroom, asked the public nurse about a rail for the bed as we were a tad worried but she said the occupational therapist will check when he calls but my mother may not need one yet, we have ordered gates for the stairs, we have put up railings all over the garden, by the front door etc,Shes been given a walking stick which she doesn't like to use but we make her use it outdoors.
We had a stair gate at the top of our stairs as I was concerned Mum may fall down the stairs if she got up in the night without me hearing her. However the physio told me to take it down as she said there was a greater risk that Mum might try and climb over it resulting in worse injuries. Sometimes you can’t do right for doing wrong!

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
We had a stair gate at the top of our stairs as I was concerned Mum may fall down the stairs if she got up in the night without me hearing her. However the physio told me to take it down as she said there was a greater risk that Mum might try and climb over it resulting in worse injuries. Sometimes you can’t do right for doing wrong!
oh really?!wow, okay, didn't think of that...

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Finally got to speak with doctor today. She said the shingles could have caused the seizure but hard to know. She upped the Neurontin levels as my mother had a lot of pain. She doesn't know whay social services was mentioned as we didn't cause the fall or the shingles virus.

In the letter she got, it says the falls and frailty team and is more of a risk assessment-more rails etc.

When you are in a/e, your mother has had a seizure and is extremely anxious and confused and you hear social services will be out because "first it was her wrist and now this", you get scared.

My mother is tough and doesn't complain but did shed some tears today over the pain. I don't know how she keeps going.I am an emotional wreck over everything. All the things I worry about, I never once thought of shingles.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Please, please, don't blame yourself for not thinking of shingles. We aren't omniscient and we aren't doctors and we cannot expect ourselves to be able to do everything, alone, all the time. I'm sorry you are so upset. Please have some ((((((hugs)))))). This is a difficult illness and no mistake.

The falls team, I've heard of that here on TP. That could get you some equipment and suggestions. I hope it's helpful.

Don't hesitate to ring the doctor/surgery or 111 if you feel the pain is not controlled.