Scans clear

Brannybob

Jun 20, 2013
UK
My husband who is 54 with AD, had various CTs MRIs and EEG which all came back negative, but he had marked deficit in all areas of hie memory assessment, the GP says his scans could be clear because AD is the actual functioning of the brain has anyone been told this before?:confused::confused:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi Brannybob

My mum's consultant explained that they have to rule out everything else which could cause the same symptoms first (eg Thyroid deficiency, B12 deficiency, CJD etc). Scans etc will sometimes show up shrinkage of the brain, but not always, especialy in younger people. At that point, if all the other possibilities have been ruled out, they end up with an AD diagnosis. Apparently an autopsy can confirm the existence of the sticky clusters which interfere with the workings of the brain but, until then, they do work a bit in the dark (his words not mine!).

I am so sorry you have had to face this, much love and lots of hugs x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It's even possible as the 'Nuns study' for someone to have dementia symptoms leading ultimately to death and still have what is found at post-mortem to be a 'normal' brain.

http://promega.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/alzheimer-disease-and-the-nun-study/

I always struggle to understand why this study (which is ongoing) is not better known. Perhaps because it might undermine the orthodox view of the causes of the disease and make a lot of people look foolish?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer`s after his scan showed brain shrinkage.

It`s interesting your husband is so young Brannybob. Perhaps older people have a natural brain shrinkage which might not yet be happening to someone younger.

Brannybob

Jun 20, 2013
UK
Thank you

Hi everyone
Thanks very much for your replies, my husbands consultant did say they rule out everything first, which they did. This included Gulf War Syndrome as much as they could, as memory loss can also be apparent in GWS, but my husbands loss was to marked.
His memory assessment also showed certain patterns which they look for. We take each day as it comes and have a quite a good routine which helps, and at the moment are managing to keep him at work:)

Last edited: