Scams!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

With regard to the latest threads about scams! Imagine the following! I don't often get calls at 8.10 am but I do have a father in a care home so when the phone goes I think to myself I hope something hasn't happened at the home. However I answer the phone and there is a lady with an oriental accent telling me that there is something wrong with my computer so therefore I say the following:

" How dare you ring me up with a scam at this time in the morning!" before hanging up and dialling my plusnet code to stop her from phoning ever again. I can do without this because I know that at some point I will probably get a dreaded call from the home.

They must be phoning up with scams because of Xmas is all I can say.

MaNaAk

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It's awful that these people exist - thankfully you knew what to do.

I remember when my stomach used to turn with worry every time the phone rang when my husband was being cared for in a dementia unit. I fully understand how you must have felt to get a call at such an early time - let alone find it was scammers.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I received a call like that one day whilst I was at my dads, however I decided to play along as I was bored. Of course my dad didn’t have a computer or access to the internet, but the caller said they were ringing as we had a problem with our internet connection, I played dumb and said really what’s the matter with it? They asked if I had my computer turned on and I said I didn’t, so they asked me to turn it on, so I said I won’t be a minute. I left them hanging on for about 5 minutes, then told them it was switched on. They then asked me to do something else, so I said ok and went off again and left them for about 10 mins, when I returned they were still there but asked why it took so long and I told them the computer wasn’t near the phone, they said take the phone to the computer and I said I can’t do that the phone is fixed and the computer was too far away, like 10 miles away as there isn’t a computer or internet in this house and do you think I was born yesterday. I’m afraid they hung up.

Scammers are the scum of the earth and it’s such a shame vulnerable people can get taken in by them.

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Elle3 that's almost exactly what my mum did (88 and still hale & hearty fortunately).
Not sure how they would get on with my PWD but as she has no pc and no idea that she has wi-fi I think it might be an interesting call though. We had to take away her debit card some time ago, she now has an old phone card with a label stuck on the front showing the name of her bank and Debit Card, she is quite happy with this and gives it to us to get cash out for her. She has always paid for shopping in cash

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Mum, no Wi-fi, no computer used to chat with them, “ how’s the weather where you are, I love your accent , is it from (wherever), mostly they hung up on her.
I use the “I’m renting this house” Certainly cuts down on calls

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Nothing to do with dementia but when I get the spurious 'accident in my car scam,' I ask who they are phoning and they usually tell me my married name (my driving license is in my single name). I keep them chatting about the supposed accident and ask them what they think might have caused it and turn the conversation to talking about me (all lies!). When I get a bit bored I tell them that, as I am registered blind, that is probably why I had the accident.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Nothing to do with dementia but when I get the spurious 'accident in my car scam,' I ask who they are phoning and they usually tell me my married name (my driving license is in my single name). I keep them chatting about the supposed accident and ask them what they think might have caused it and turn the conversation to talking about me (all lies!). When I get a bit bored I tell them that, as I am registered blind, that is probably why I had the accident.

That's a good one @Fullticket I usually ask them which accident it was and if it was the one when I was being pursued by the police then it really wasn't my fault because the car that I had stolen had faulty breaks. They soon hang up.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I’m not from the UK but I work for a bank.
Credit card & Debit card and even internet banking scams are at an all time high.
The latest one, is receiving a call from your Telco.
Considering we are a small country and have 2 major telcos, they will usually give a name that you are with.
They tell you that they have detected cyber crime from your internet address and before you know it have convinced you and gained control of your PC or laptop.
Long story short money, is withdrawn from your accounts and sent to an overseas bank account.
They even trick you with disclosing your banks security to get around it.

Im pleased my Dad has neither a computer or bank card, because he would fall for anything hook line and sinker.

Years ago, he had a Telco salesperson call to his door convincing him to swap, just with the promise of a free portable phone. The word “free” was enough for Dad.
Never mind they already had 3 cordless phones.
I managed to get out of the whole deal knowing our door to door sales laws.
Also once he signed up for a newspaper subscription as the first month was “free”.
Never mind the weekly ongoing cost and how it wasnt even a newspaper he would read!

Sorry to get a call so early MaNaAk. I know how you feel.
One time I got a call from Mums Care Home at 9pm..... only for change of shift staff to tell me Mum needed more shampoo!!
I was pleasant enough at the time as it was a carer I didnt know but did tell the Manager the next day for which I got an apology.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Every call I have I let go the my answerphone if I know the caller obviously I pick up if not
and the caller doesn’t speak or leave their name or its withheld I assume it’s a scam so I do a 1471 and block that number for future why because if the person cant be bothered to identify their self then they didn’t really want me in first place

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I received a call like that one day whilst I was at my dads, however I decided to play along as I was bored. Of course my dad didn’t have a computer or access to the internet, but the caller said they were ringing as we had a problem with our internet connection, I played dumb and said really what’s the matter with it? They asked if I had my computer turned on and I said I didn’t, so they asked me to turn it on, so I said I won’t be a minute. I left them hanging on for about 5 minutes, then told them it was switched on. They then asked me to do something else, so I said ok and went off again and left them for about 10 mins, when I returned they were still there but asked why it took so long and I told them the computer wasn’t near the phone, they said take the phone to the computer and I said I can’t do that the phone is fixed and the computer was too far away, like 10 miles away as there isn’t a computer or internet in this house and do you think I was born yesterday. I’m afraid they hung up.

Scammers are the scum of the earth and it’s such a shame vulnerable people can get taken in by them.

Good one Elle!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

In a way you can have fun with these people or let off steam! They once rang up when my computer was in a shop and I said I know that there is something wrong with it which is why it is in a shop. It was at this point that they gave up.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thank you all for replying. There are some horrible people out there. When dad was still at home and a couple of years before he came down with Alzheimers he answered the door to a couple wanting to talk about religion. I tried to get rid of them as I thought it was getting heated but when I tried to do this dad gave me a look of sheer annoyance and it was at this time that I realised that he was enjoying himself so I had to let him get on with it! We never saw these people again!

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I get very few scam calls now, a combination of TPS and callprotect seems to be working.

I used to play a game with the 'we will fix your PC' brigade, I'd put XP on an old laptop, fill it up with various financial spreadsheets and list of passwords etc, install a load of malware including key loggers and ransomware, and let them take complete control.

Finally I'd wipe the drive and image a new OS .

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
It's alright us having all the skills to deal with scammers, it's when they contact our pwd that the problems start! Having my mums phone provider block all withheld numbers has reduced the phone calls but sone sneaky people get round that by having fake phone numbers which if you try to call back, are unrecognised.

I really do find these criminals totally despicable!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If anyone's relative has been in the habit of doing those Wordsearch competitions - I use the word loosely - where you very conveniently phone in all your details at God knows how much per minute, do please be extra vigilant, and consider one of the 'trusted numbers only' services.

I am convinced that these 'competitions' are the reason an elderly neighbour - no dementia but very naive and trusting - was targeted and scammed out of a huge amount of money. I knew she had had been addicted to these things, and I later found out that the databases thus obtained are sold on and used by scammers to compile 'suckers' lists'.
Our neighbour was invariably contacted by phone for the scam and it went on for many weeks, endless payments for 'tax' before the non existent 'lottery win' could be paid.

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou all for replying! I am thinking of playing about with passwords as Nitram has suggested but otherwise we have to be on our toes all the time.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Yesterday I had a text purporting to be from bank H informing me that a suspicious device had been attached to my account. Funny but I no longer bank with H!

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello Everyone!

Yesterday I had a text purporting to be from bank H informing me that a suspicious device had been attached to my account. Funny but I no longer bank with H!

MaNaAk
i had exaqctly the same couple of weeks ago and i dont bank with H either i did write on the forum about it

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

Just letting you know that I have just received a call from a machine telling me that £49 has gone from my account and that I am to press a number. I did I put the phone down.

MaNaAk