Scams and dementia - Podcast, August 2015

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Criminals can often target older people by phone, letter and email. Common cons include bogus foreign lotteries, miracle health cures, fake prize draw wins and investment opportunities.

In this edition of the podcast, our Helpline Coordinator Angelo talks about how people with dementia can fall prey to these types of scams, how to report them and what can be done to prevent them happening.

Listen to the podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/alzheimers-s...mentia-alzheimers-society-podcast-august-2015

Watch the video:

[video=youtube;RaNLHv7KLBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaNLHv7KLBQ[/video]

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
These people, along with child molesters, ought to be skinned alive!

LS

my MIl gave her bank details to someone who rang up and asked thenshe realised something and my husband had t take her to the bank to sort. also some one inched 2 very large garden pt chimneys from her garden before she came to stay with us. some people ad that has got to be a neborough some were nasty to my MIL befrpe we got her to stay with us been here 2.5 years now . A lot worse but safe

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
my MIl gave her bank details to someone who rang up and asked thenshe realised something and my husband had t take her to the bank to sort. also some one inched 2 very large garden pt chimneys from her garden before she came to stay with us. some people ad that has got to be a neborough some were nasty to my MIL befrpe we got her to stay with us been here 2.5 years now . A lot worse but safe

Hi Balloo,

Terrible, isn't it? At least your MIL is now safe. A few years ago before dad got dementia he gave his bank details to someone over the phone then told mum. She made him get on his bike and pedal to the bank as fast as possible. Luckily he was able to get there before any money was stolen and the bank could freeze the account. Hopefully they won't do that again. It's such a worry.

LS