Scam Call

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Had a Telephone Call today asking to speak to my Uncle - i asked who was calling
DCI Hopkins from Hammersmith Police Station - I knew immediately that it wasnt and the "caller" knew id realised it was a scam. Needless to say he put the Phone down and of course dialling 1471 i knew there would be no number.

I informed the Police and they are coming to see me in the morning.

These people are preying on elderly people and i presume they call as many as possible until they find an "easy" target.

Scum

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
@crystalwand

Yes its an evil thing to do

Id very much like one of them to knock on my Uncles door - (im always here) They would be in for a surprise

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Had a Telephone Call today asking to speak to my Uncle - i asked who was calling
DCI Hopkins from Hammersmith Police Station - I knew immediately that it wasnt and the "caller" knew id realised it was a scam. Needless to say he put the Phone down and of course dialling 1471 i knew there would be no number.

I informed the Police and they are coming to see me in the morning.

These people are preying on elderly people and i presume they call as many as possible until they find an "easy" target.

Scum

There was a fake spanish lottery mailshot doing the rounds here a few years ago. Luckily I spotted it and persuaded OH, a trusting soul, to bin it. It was only when the papers confirm it as a scam she finally believed me. Good thing you spotted it byrne.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
And I had a phone call from someone who tried to tell me that I was under investigation by the Australian Tax Office for tax evasion and fraud and that if I wished to avoid this I should call a certain number.

Considering our financial situation, I laughed in his face but I feel very sorry for others who might have been very scared by such a call.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
I have set my Mums phone on to silent as she was getting lots of these calls and I dont think she remembers how to use the phone any more. I know Im not there all the time but I have answered to many odd calls, even one asking for my Dad who passed away 15 years ago. :eek:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I too have set our landline on silent. It only rings if programmed in numbers of friends and family call.

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Yes, we got one for Mum. Essential. A BT phone - takes a bit of working out but then it's been excellent. We now block things like the GP and care agency so they can't tell her things that she won't remember or get her to agree things she won't do. The only people who can get through are family and close friends.

Ours is a few years old now but a BT 6510 phone. She still gets loads of scam calls sometimes after somehow getting onto a list - I think through one of these supposed lottery type tickets where you 'ring to claim a prize' that it always suggests you have won but then takes you off into a land of scams!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Where did you get that Beate? Sounds like a useful bit of kit.

It's a bog standard oldish Philips DECT5252S/05 phone which we've had for at least a decade. It's got a do not disturb feature that allows you to put programmed numbers in groups and then assign days and times in which they should not ring. I've just put everything but group A for not ringing round the clock basically. Obviously you need caller display for this to work.

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Yes, we got one for Mum. Essential. A BT phone - takes a bit of working out but then it's been excellent. We now block things like the GP and care agency so they can't tell her things that she won't remember or get her to agree things she won't do. The only people who can get through are family and close friends.

Ours is a few years old now but a BT 6510 phone. She still gets loads of scam calls sometimes after somehow getting onto a list - I think through one of these supposed lottery type tickets where you 'ring to claim a prize' that it always suggests you have won but then takes you off into a land of scams!

There are so-called 'suckers' lists' which the scammers flog to each other. A neighbour of mine was scammed out of a huge amount of money - she was told it was 'tax' before they could dish out her £1M 'lottery prize'. I am pretty sure they had got her details from the umpteen wordsearch 'competitions' she had previously entered - the kind where you very conveniently phone in your every last detail at God knows how much per minute.

Anyone with a relative addicted to wordsearch 'competitions', please be aware and vigilant!

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
One scam that always seems to be calling my Dad 's house is the one where they call from the 'technical department of windows ' and say that they have found a fault with the computer. I just say that we have not got a computer or a laptop, but they keep calling, even with telephone preferences.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
One scam that always seems to be calling my Dad 's house is the one where they call from the 'technical department of windows ' and say that they have found a fault with the computer. I just say that we have not got a computer or a laptop, but they keep calling, even with telephone preferences.

I always say "which one, I've got 7" When I get these calls. As for the car accidents I've been in, I'm amazed I'm still driving..... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Tell these callers it is a business phone and they have to take you off their list! :D

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I had one at home from "microsoft" - he really didn't like me asking why he wanted to speak to (my name) rather than just agreeing that I was that person - I always say something like 'I don't wish to speak to you and don't call again, thank you' - as I was saying this he screamed at me "You'll be sorry, I'm from microsoft you b**ch" - I just didn't want to interact with him, and point out that he'd just given himself away, so put the phone down. I must admit I was pretty shaken having someone speak to me like that.
I'm glad I didn't correct him, hopefully he can't control his temper and often gives himself away!

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I had one at home from "microsoft" - he really didn't like me asking why he wanted to speak to (my name) rather than just agreeing that I was that person - I always say something like 'I don't wish to speak to you and don't call again, thank you' - as I was saying this he screamed at me "You'll be sorry, I'm from microsoft you b**ch" - I just didn't want to interact with him, and point out that he'd just given himself away, so put the phone down. I must admit I was pretty shaken having someone speak to me like that.
I'm glad I didn't correct him, hopefully he can't control his temper and often gives himself away!

Shedrech, that would have upset me too.
Even more awful to think of these people contacting those with dementia.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009

It works sometimes if you say 'This line is registered with the TPS and it is not legal for you to be calling it please can you ensure you delete this number from your lists' well it has for me anyway.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I've also used

"Oh sweetheart, surely you can get a better job than this, it can't be good for you to have so much negativity in your life"

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have a way of dealing with 'microsoft' calls which I use when I have free time and feel like a laugh.

I image a copy of XP onto an old laptop and fill it full of fictitious financial information with loads of spreadsheets etc, I then download and install a load of malware and put the laptop to one side.

When I get the call I say I am worried about the security of my computer's contents and agree to go along with the caller's offer and switch on my computer. As the laptop boots I drop hints about the tens of thousands I have in various accounts.

When the laptop has booted I follow instruction and then watch as they take control and struggle with the corrupt system looking for the thousands, they are usually thick enough to not realise that they are not going to get anywhere.

All in all it makes a good coffee break distraction.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
3 Burly Policeman called at the Weekend and took notes on the scam call - 1 would have been enough!!

Ive also had the "windows" call - and the "mobility call" its endless even if you register your number.

Vultures