SALT and swallowing....

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
We had a visit from SALT yesterday. My dad has been coughing alot, sometimes after food and drink, but it builds up during the day and night time he will cough a lot.

SALT came and watched him eat and drink lunch. They said there wasnt any problems so carry on following the current food and drink plan.... dad was on his best behaviour, hes never his normal self around medical staff.

I explained my worries, and they just seemed to shrug it off. He is currently up in his bed coughing up phlem and has been having odd wheezing from time to time. Also, saliva build up and not swallowing it.... dropped a whole load over my head while i was washing him earlier!!! He is kept hydrated (with thickener!) throughout the day.

Obviously i want to keep him away from hospitals at the current time, but if it gets worse.... :/

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hostess mode is so frustrating when they manage to fool Drs.
Don’t be afraid to ring for help if you need it.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
More coughing over the last few days, we've increased the powder per drink anyway. Dad says he finds it hard to cough, so many of his attempts sound rather weak, but we can hear the phlegm in his throat. Normally getting him to drink a sip or two helps him cough.

It's hard to get him to talk, and when he does half the time it doesn't make much sense. Curious if anyone else has had similar problems and how they helped.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Dad has not really slept for the last couple of days now, as we can hear him coughing away during the night, he doesn't cough so much during the day. Dad won't sleep during the day though, so he's probably only had a few hours sleep over the last 48-72 hours. Any help or advice....

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
We had a visit from SALT yesterday. My dad has been coughing alot, sometimes after food and drink, but it builds up during the day and night time he will cough a lot.

SALT came and watched him eat and drink lunch. They said there wasnt any problems so carry on following the current food and drink plan.... dad was on his best behaviour, hes never his normal self around medical staff.

I explained my worries, and they just seemed to shrug it off. He is currently up in his bed coughing up phlem and has been having odd wheezing from time to time. Also, saliva build up and not swallowing it.... dropped a whole load over my head while i was washing him earlier!!! He is kept hydrated (with thickener!) throughout the day.

Obviously i want to keep him away from hospitals at the current time, but if it gets worse.... :/
Good Morning, Yes, my husband, in his 50’s with many health problems including being disabled with MS and having MS Dementia has the problems you speak about. He was assessed by the SALT team around two years ago and was in his usual good behaviour host mode. He chewed the biscuit he was given very well and I was told to cut his food up very small, as I had been doing and he had to swallow before putting the next bit in. He coughs a lot after the evening meal, sneezes throughout the day (I can hear him if I’m gardening). Night time is the worst, he makes choking noises most of the night, it’s as though there’s loads of liquid there. I get up to pass the tissues at the side of him, but he can’t blow his nose unless I sit him up, which is a struggle. Sometimes he has lots of liquid in his throat that has to be put into a tissue. He has falls, doesn’t believe he has an indwelling catheter and leg bag and night bag, despite me getting up in the middle of the night to show him. I was still awake at 6am this morning, so a couple of hours sleep yet again. He’s always seemed to be blowing his nose for nearly 40 years. He doesn’t even have the strength to blow his nose properly, lots of little attempts. I’m sure if anyone has any ideas, then it would be most beneficial to a lot of 24/7 carers like myself. Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konnifel