Sally magnussons account of her mum

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
I don't get it...

I don't get the purpose of these 'celebrities' writing books and a big thing being made of publishing things like this. Yes the family might have been in the public eye but Dementia is a great leveller. That is what the article shows. Her mum's dementia was no different to anyone elses. Their story is no different. There are people out there in the same, if not worse, position. Why are their stories not the ones that are being published? Sometimes articles like this irk me because these people have one thing that many of struggling families don't have ... money! So, whilst families struggle with bills and losing their home and having to give up work, these people can pay their way around these particular issues. Does money make the dementia improve? Does writing a book make things better? Does reading someone else's celebrity account make things all right in your world too? There are every day people who more than deserve the accolade of 'hero' or 'Alzheimers Society Ambassador', but will never so much as get a pat on the back from society because they are not a 'celebrity'.

There is nothing new in this article from a dementia point of view that people aren't talking about on here.

So sad,

Fiona

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I think celebs do have a place in destroying the taboos about mental health from a personal perspective, not with dementia but with autism and OCD. I was so grateful that people like David Beckham "came out" about his OCD as did Coronation Street Tough Man http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-carefree-tough-guy-paralysed-obsessions.html

My son still gets paralysed with his OCD but we manage it a lot better now so it doesn't take over but telling the footballers and tough man's stories allowed him to feel better about himself.

So I can see why that wouldn't work for dementia in the same way, but I see a place and totally understand it's not for everyone. I am a huge believer in talking about mental health and think today we have come such a long way. I don't think there's a day that passes where the Mail on Line don't mention Alzheimer's Dementia.

My preferred learning place is here as it's personal and almost immediate from real people, with their real lives and wouldn't bother with a book. A book of real life people may however also be useful.

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
I look at it from an awareness point of view and I think the input of celebrities is invaluable.

People do read these articles, it keeps it in the forefront of people's minds. I've had people mention stories they have read and seen despite having no personal experience with dementia.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Celebrity Input

Two issues here for me. First it is obvious that celebrities suffer too. They have mothers and other relatives with horrible illnesses and so their input is as valid as anyone else on this forum. Secondly much good work in raising awareness and funds is done by people with a high profile. JK Rowling has given millions to multiple sclerosis on behalf of her mother. Sally Magnusson is a highly respected journalist from an excellent family and mother of five children herself. We need to continually be airing the dementia case and moving research and care issues forward. Who is going to do this?

I am for equality on this matter which can and does touch us all in some way.