Saga Magazine May 07

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve always wondered why a magazine like Saga, for people over 50, is in the smallest print of any magazines. I used to get it but stopped when the print became too small. I wrote to them but didn`t get a reply.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Probably

Grannie G said:
I`ve always wondered why a magazine like Saga, for people over 50, is in the smallest print of any magazines. I used to get it but stopped when the print became too small. I wrote to them but didn`t get a reply.

coz people over 50 dont work on it!! ditto with TV guides. Takes me ages to compile one on line for mum (then she cant work the tv so its a bit fruitless) Also as mobiles get smaller they can be harder and harder for older people to use.
I discussed with Richard Branson the possibilty of producing a mobile with large buttons and simple functions for older people , suppsed to be looking into it!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That looks good Lila, but the trouble with these things is there`s no opportunity to try them first.

I bought my husband the simplest mobile I could find and he still couldn`t use it.
Ok, so he has Alzheimers, so that`s fair enough.

Now I have 2 mobiles, and with both, I need to put reading glasses on before I can dial, see the menu, or read a text, so I just hope there`s never an emergency.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Before my mother had her strokes, I purchased a second hand older mobile phone for her: it was very cheap because it was enormous, but it did take sim cards and it had big buttons. Alternatively, are uk phone companies making mobiles for young children? There's one available in the us which essentially only allows calls to predesignated numbers, because it doesn't have a full set of buttons.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
simple

The one from Help the Aged looks a possible, but I agree its pricey.. The others look just like the basic simple mobile but the buttons dont look any bigger...mum tried and failed with a very simple model.
for someone who actually doesnt have many contacts, eg my mum who doesnt really need to ever call more than three people, Id like to see something which literally does away with numbers altogether and just has colours, red for daughter, green for grandson, and maybe a flashing button to be pressed to take an incoming call.
i had to take mums away in the end she was becoming so upset by her inability to use it, plus this had led to furthur accusations that I wasnt answering her calls..which of course I wasnt as she hadnt dialled my number in the first place.
Of course in her case she could actually have a landline in her room which she could probably answer ok even if she couldnt make outgoing calls. however she refuses to consider this option as she sees that as another step towards her being there permanaently..which of course she probably is.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
That look good for children , but I always thought that someone that never use a mobile who has dementia / AZ could not learn how to use it , because they lose the ability to learn new thing ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I think most children are better with mobiles, indeed anything 'high tech' than most adults!

Yes I do agree with that , but someone with dementia is a different issue , I know its not they fault, but the disease preventing them from retaining new information.

Just seen the man
the guy in the photo!!
Not bad looking :)

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
LOL :) :D will the sweet sexy smile rather charming for a man of his age , Not my type mind you , but I bet he was rather a smoothy :D (player )at a younger age

PS

I saw the most drop dead hunky Fit Bald 6ft man as I was walking my dog to my brothers today , thought no way can I not look at him , his looking at me , so I look over at him ( to good looking not to ) and he smile at me so I smile back as he pass he said good afternoon , will I neatly died and went to haven lol he must of been all of 28/30 , yes he made my day

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Page 182 Saga magazine May issue 07,an article entitled "At the receiving end".
Highlights the importance of EPAs.
Well worth reading.
Norman

Hi Norman,

thanks very much for posting this useful information.

Take care
Craig

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was thinking that , that I have gone of the topic of the thread :eek: sorry , is they not a link to that magazine ?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Margarita said:
Just seen the man Not bad looking :)

Am I looking at the right web page? Not exactly the diet coke man:)

Shall we all go in to business developing a phone for people with dementia? My Dad was the first in the family to have a mobile phone (the sort you now only see in repeats of Miami Vice ;) ) but now can't use it.:(

Am very impressed that Natashalou counts Richard Branson amongst her acquaintances. I'm sure he's our guy.

Sue