Saga Magazine May 07

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Has your mum's EPA been registered Margarita? Because if it is then I would have thought that a record would have been kept of it at the Court of Protection - although someone please correct me if I'm wrong, of course :confused:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Yes, that's what she is talking about. Sometimes the Court of Protection will make a simpler order where the person has less than £16,000.

Extract from PGO website:

In some circumstances, when the Court considers the receivership application, it may decide that it is not necessary to appoint a Receiver, but will instead make a Short Order. This will usually apply where the capital value of the client's estate does not exceed £16,000 and there is no property to be sold.

A Short Order may authorise you to:

a) receive occupational/private pensions or trust income;

b) receive all or part of the client's money held in bank or building society accounts;

c) pay nursing home fees or other charges, debts, expenses and any solicitor's costs; and

d) provide for the safe custody of documents and valuables such as furniture and jewellry.

Note use of words 'may' and 'usually'.

With an EPA in place you can avoid this uncertainty. I think the CAB need to be saying that if it is too late to do an EPA and the assets are less than £16,000, you may get a Short Order. However I think you would still need to fill in all the forms, doctor's certificate etc. and pay the PGO's fees.:(

The advice remains the same: DO AN EPA NOW!

Sue

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The advice remains the same: DO AN EPA NOW!

And don’t lose you copy and don’t trust the solicitor to keep the original copy .

As I lost my copy , and the solicitor has moved office last year the company that took over said they cannot find my mother file .

Mum bank has a copy, so I can get a copy from them, I am trying to register my EPOA so I can take over her bank account .

or just get her money paid in my account , But my mother has a NH pension that was my father paid into her account , that I never sent my EPOA to , so not only do I not know they address ,( just NH postmaster ) I can’t get that pay in to my account .

A : Its do I just leave that money in mum account , and the rest of her pension in my account .

B :Go to bank get address where they keep my cope of EPOA , then write to them , the when they send it to me sort it out with the court of perception , so I can get mum account in to my name , so I have full control of it

It come to the time that I am fed up of having to go in and get money from the counter , as I am getting in to a mess with my finances , its come to the stage that I am really finally relishing that the time as come and I better wake up to the reality to it all and come out of denial . as denial is getting me in to a right mess , with sorting out the money side of things .

I am of , as I need a fag :rolleyes:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Magarita,

I would suggest that all your Mum's income is paid in to an account in your Mum's name rather than in to your own account. With an EPA you should be able to operate your Mum's account without any difficulty.

If the money is paid into an account in your Mum's name, no one can accuse you of mixing up your own money with your Mum's money. Also if you were on benefits it might cause problems proving that your Mum's money was not yours.

Sue

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sue

I would suggest that all your Mum's income is paid in to an account in your Mum's name rather than in to your own account. With an EPA you should be able to operate your Mum's account without any difficulty

Oh ok sue that how I have it at the moment . shall keep it like that thanks .

Norman I wonder if its just that I am mad at myself :(