Safety gate?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
We've now tried 3 gates, in an attempt to keep Mil out of the kitchen. 2 she rattled and shook to the point where she managed to break them at the hinges, one she worked out - very quickly - how to open.

There isn't a doorway as such into my kitchen - its a fairly narrow archway, and because of both the width and the layout of the walls at this 'arch' a full door that we can lock, or even a half stable door won't work.

I've spent a good bit of this morning on line looking both at child gates and even pet gates, but the opening/locking systems on them don't seem to be particularly 'tamper proof' - most of the child gates are designed to be 'easy opened with one hand', for the sake of parents carrying the child I guess. And with pet gates, obviously, the main factor is sturdy, rather than 'tamper proof locks'.

I've also checked out DIY stores, for 'secure garden gates' - the width is again a problem, but also with them, most can be securely closed/bolted from one side only and they seem to be all too high :(

So I need sturdy, will fit a fairly narrow width and with an opening mechanism that isn't too easy to use. At the moment, Mil is very fixated on getting into the kitchen and its causing a lot of stress, trying to keep her out - she just isn't safe in there at all, and when I'm solo with her its difficult for me to even go to the loo without her attempting to go and get the cake she thinks she has baking out of the oven, or for her to make the bottle she thinks a non-existent baby needs, or to do some other delusional based activity that could put her in danger.

Has anyone come across a product that might fit the bill? And if so, could you let me know where you got it from.

Thank you :)

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Probably not very helpful for you, but I looked for exactly what you want to stop my aunt venturing up some very steep stairs to an attic room. I found the same issues - wrong size, not strong enough or lock too easy to overcome.

In the end I gave up and made something myself from a sheet of plywood and a combination lock. She doesn't even try to get past it.

Maybe you need to consider a custom made door or gate you can attach your own lock to. There are plenty of push button security locks/latches you can choose from.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks everyone - trouble is, there is no door - its an open archway, quite narrow, no way to widen it because of patio doors to one side and because of the layout of the kitche/dining room in general - the kitchen is long and narrow, can't shorten the half wall on the other side of the archway because of the fitted cupboards and space.

We have just found a sturdy looking child gate which can be opened with one had - but it requires you both squeeze and pull upwards and out, all at the same time - we are wondering if that would 'fox' her :confused:

last night wasn't too bad, but the day before I had several hours of her repeatedly heading for the kitchen and her getting increasingly angry at me stopping her. I'm hoping that if there is a physical barrier, then I won't get so much of the crossness actually aimed at me - plus it would mean I could turn my back for a few minutes and not worry about her getting in there!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... it requires you both squeeze and pull upwards..."

Can you drill a hole and insert a removable pin to prevent the squeezing or pulling action?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
"... it requires you both squeeze and pull upwards..."

Can you drill a hole and insert a removable pin to prevent the squeezing or pulling action?

Thats worth looking at, if she does work it out - thank you :) OH says if this one fails, we'll look at gting something custom made - it will be expensive, I guess, but I think I've trolled through every site I can find on the net and 'dementia proof gates' don't seem to be an easily available product, so not much choice!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
What about a magnetic security catch and a homemade hardboard door, half height? You need a magnet to open it. Same principle as a cat door with special collar?

You might need a joiner to do this, or a good DIY person. If you google magnetic door catches or locks you will see some.

Have you tried securing the baby gate at the bottom where she might not look? Try a climbers clip - carabiner is the word to google.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
The Red Cross made a gate for the top of the stairs as a child's gate would not have been safe. No charge as it was classed as a essential aid to safe living.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I've sent you a PM Ann, with a link. I am suggesting a bespoke timber door with glazed panel. If you could get a door made, what to do about the lock? You could fit a decoy knob at normal height, screwed to the outside of the door. Then fit a bathroom door handle set with thumb lock much higher up. Have the thumb lock on the kitchen side so it is easy to turn it and prevent her coming in. There would be a coin slot effect on the other side so that you could lock it off from outside the kitchen. Or, have the thumb lock outside, whichever works best for you.

MikeBurton

Jan 20, 2016
Hi Ann Mac,

Would a kitchen cupboard style door be any good across the gap? The door can be any width less than the gap. You can set the door at any height if it is highly unlikely your Mil would attempt to climb under it (only you know that). You could have a string just to tie up the door to the wall in which ever way suits you. The door wouldn't fill the gap in any way but adds a perceived obstacle in the person's path that just may be the deterrent needed. You may also want to think about having some safe kitchen utensils and a microwave (not plugged in and the very inexpensive turn knob kind from most grocery superstores) in the room where your Mil is safe. That way it can be an occupation and may assist in your Mil staying safe.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks everyone :)

We've found a sturdy wooden gate, the hinges look solid and because its wood, we can easily add an extra lock or catch on the kitchen side, if Mil works out how to open it - the mechanism requires her to pull and squeeze at the same time, and we are hoping she won't work it out. . .

If that doesn't work, then we are going to look at the bepoke doors that Katrine gave a link to. Just got fingers crossed that this gate works - this is the 4th gate now, so its been expensive enough for poor Mil without going down the specially made 'barrier' route :rolleyes:

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Probably too late to help but I remember using swimming pool enclosure gates in Australia. The catch which had to be pulled up, was very high.

If you are tall and MIL is short this might work? Anyway it's another type of manufacturer to look at; manufacturers of domestic and commercial swimming pool fences.

This one for instance: http://www.poolfenceuk.com/

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Ann's MIL is now in hospital and may not be coming home. A person with dementia often seems to gain super hero strengths so baby gates don't last long.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A