Safety gate recommendations

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
I need to fit a safety gate to a steep stairway leading up to an unused attic room in my aunt's house. She is now wandering about the house and often goes up to the attic for no reason and I'm afraid she'll fall.

I've looked at a few extending safety gates, which look like the sort of thing I had in mind, but none of them seem properly lockable (with a padlock or key).

Can anyone recommend a suitable gate? This is quite a narrow stairway, so the fixed gate type probably won't be suitable as they are usually designed to fit a normal stairway.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Sinkhole

I hope that you get some good suggestions. However, from my experience with safety gates I have to urge caution in using one. I installed one at the top of the stairs to stop my OH wandering downstairs at night. Unfortunately, it was only in situ for a few minutes when he tried to climb over it:eek: I'm sure someone must have solved this problem. I used alarm mats to wake me up when OH went walkabout.

I hope you get some suggestions.

Take care

Lyn T XX

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
At least it might help prevent a disastrous fall on the stairs. My husband did this and broke his hip.
If the gap is too narrow for a traditional safety gate you could try getting a carpenter to make a wooden board which slots between two pieces of wood on either side of the stairway. I have not explained this very well- sort of how a wooden fence panel can be lifted to slide between two concrete posts with a recess. You could then get a lock or bolt fitted on the side which is out of view.
We had something like this on the doorway to our dining area when my children were small. Even if they watch you lift it we found we did not need a lock because if you do not lift both sides evenly it does not lift out.
Tre

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Have you contacted the OT?

A friend needed a stair gate and the OT sent a carpenter round who made a made to measure gate that slotted up and down so it didn't take up much room, and wasn't easy to work out how to use it by the person being protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Hmmm. good suggestions. Actually, I'm thinking I may be able to make something myself.

This is at the bottom of a stairway going up and she is not capable of climbing over anything, so there's no additional danger posed by fitting a gate, it's just that she is very good at taking things apart, so it does need to be impossible to open or slide out without a key or tools.

Maybe I can sort out a couple of battens and a piece of MDF which I can then padlock or bolt together.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hmmm. good suggestions. Actually, I'm thinking I may be able to make something myself.

This is at the bottom of a stairway going up and she is not capable of climbing over anything, so there's no additional danger posed by fitting a gate, it's just that she is very good at taking things apart, so it does need to be impossible to open or slide out without a key or tools.

Maybe I can sort out a couple of battens and a piece of MDF which I can then padlock or bolt together.

Sounds like a plan :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point