Safety Aids - Toilet Sensors

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Hi again,

I am currently looking to install additional safety aids in the home, to safeguard my Mum from falling.

As mentioned on previous postings, my Mum has AD and her mobility is not very good and worsens considerably whenever she contracts further urinary infections. One of the most difficult problems I have with Mum is toileting. For many years prior to having AD she had mental health problems; in particular an abhorrence of going to the toilet, and obsessional hand-washing. Although the hand-washing has lessened, she still puts off toileting for as long as possible!

When taken to the toilet it can take Mum as long as an hour or more for her to finish; she sits pleating her clothing or pulling the toilet paper off the role like the Andrex puppy!

During the time she is in the toilet I continually go up and down to check if she has finished - leaving the stair lift seat across the top of the stairs. Recently, I had just checked on her - she said she had not finished - so I was just on my way back downstairs when I heard the toilet door open. Before I could dash back up she fell backwards into the bathroom. Fortunately she didn't bang her head; just had a sore bottom for a couple of days. I think it shook me up more than Mum!

Since the fall I have stayed outside the toilet waiting for her to finish. The problem is that some days, she can have 2/3 attempts before she finally finishes; so I can end up spending more than 3 hours a day sat outside the toilet!

I have searched the Internet for possible safety aids I could buy to alleviate this problem and ensure Mum's safety. I have come across some toilet sensors which fit onto the toilet seat. When the person attempts to rise a warning is transmitted. You can also emit a recording, warning the person not to get up etc. In addition, I have seen palm held LCD baby monitors together with baby monitor cameras. As an additional safeguard, there are mats with sensors inside which emit an alarm when stood on; and you can also record a message to warn against standing up.

Before purchasing the above I wondered whether any of you have had experience of such aids. If so, could you please advise me of their suitability/ success in preventing falls. I should also be pleased to learn of any other aids available other than those mentioned. Your help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

In conclusion, has anyone got a solution to preventing Mum from constantly kicking the duvet off her bed! She gets very agitated at times and continually moves her legs up and down. We are having to keep checking on her during the night to re-cover her to ensure she doesn't get cold. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, did you find a solution?:confused:

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
Hi ,cant Help With The Toilet Aids, But At Some Stage You May Need A Commode Downstairs , Not Something You Will Want To Rush In To ,but Sometimes Inevitable,and As For The Bed Problems Maybe She Is To Warm , Could You Try Her In Pyjamas And Socks , Then Very Light Bedclothes , Just Sheet And Spread ,and As Winter Is Upon Us ,leave The Heating On The Lowest Setting All Night Hope You Find Some Salutions, Its All Trial And Error, Then When You Are Sorted The Goalposts Move , Good Luck .angela

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Thanks for your reply, Angela. We have a commode but Mum resuses to use it. Pyjames are not that practical - with incontinence pads having to be worn, Mum does get too warm in them.

I only have a light weight cotton sheet and duvet on her bed at the moment. Perhaps leaving the central heating on a low setting in winter may be a solution; will give it a try. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. :)

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
CassElle said:
In conclusion, has anyone got a solution to preventing Mum from constantly kicking the duvet off her bed! She gets very agitated at times and continually moves her legs up and down. We are having to keep checking on her during the night to re-cover her to ensure she doesn't get cold. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, did you find a solution?:confused:

No idea about the toilet aids I'm afraid ... but ... have you tried pushing the long edge of the bed up against the wall, and trapping the edge of the duvet between the bed and the wall? It wouldn't stop mum completely from kicking it off her, but would limit how far away she could kick it?????

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
kicking off duvet

Hi, CassElle.

I visit this board as my mum has Alz. My son has special needs and often kicked his duvet off. I solved it by sewing thick elastic (like the kind you would use in the waistband of a skirt) down one side of the duvet cover (say 6 inches apart) and tying it onto the base of the bed. It certainly does the trick for us. No more getting up and down all night to check he's covered.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
You can get a small camera with a transmitter quite cheaply £30 is or less I think, which will connect to your PC or Laptop.... No wires - runs on internal batteries.. Could that be a solution? At least you could 'observe' whilst still doing other things... I have been thinking about going down that route in order to see what exactly happens when the 'carers' are in and I am out... Only thing that concerns me is the intrusion of privacy - for the carers - I am sure your mum would not mind...

Michael

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother also has that problem kicking the duvet off her bed so what I do put an old warm jumper and an old pair of track site on her , or some night mum leave on her on cotton T shirt and I get her thin cotton trouser that she wears when she does not go out she then puts on her large night dress on top she says it keeps her warm during the night.

I think Michael Idea about the camera is very good idea .

Micheal I would not worry about
Only thing that concerns me is the intrusion of privacy - for the carers -

That did not brother the judge when it went back to court when two agency carer applied against a verdict of guilty of abusing an old lady who they where caring for, the son put in one of those camera without them knowing, That was his evidences when he took them to court

Good new was they lost the appeal and got a harder sentence :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968