Safer house

Florine

Mar 8, 2017
Hi. My aunt has dementia for a number of years now and is in between stage 6 and 7. My uncle cares for her 24/7 but recently we noticed that his health is declining and that he also needs to look after himself more. Understandable he find this very difficult so we want to make daily things a little bit easier for him by looking at making the house safer. So he doesn't have to worry all the time about her wondering off or her trying to get out of a window. Any suggestions?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You need to contact adult social services and arrange for a needs assessment for her and a carers assessment for him. Tell them they have a duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk. Wandering is a huge risk! They can put day care in place, carers, sitters, respite, telecare (trackers etc) and send an OT to check the home over and provide things like grabrails. His health is very important and they have to look after that too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Florine
a warm welcome to TP
your aunt and uncle are fortunate to have you looking out for them both
I agree with Beate - get onto their Local Authority Adult Services and say they both need an urgent assessment of care needs, and your uncle is entitled to a carer's assessment as well - tell them you fear that your uncle is close to 'carer breakdown' and needs support to care for his wife so she can stay at home - use the buzz words Beate mentions = 'vulnerable adults', 'at risk', the 'duty of care' lies with the LA
your aunt's care will be funded only from HER finances (same for your uncle) - if she has savings/assets (not including the house) below £23000 the LA will at least partly pay any fees - if the LA ask about her finances, say you don't know the situation as some seem to be trying to get away from doing the assessment by finding out that a person is self funding - your aunt has a statutory right to this assessment
do let your uncle know that he will not be required to even consider selling their home to pay for any care for his wife - some people are afraid this will happen
also have their GP given an up to date picture of how things are for the both of them, as the GP can make a referral to Adult Services too
I hope your aunt is receiving Attendance Allowance and the Council Tax has been reduced so that your uncle only pays as the single person's rate - helps a little with any care fees
have a chat with Admiral Nurses too
https://www.dementiauk.org/how-we-help/admiral-nursing/
and, now you've found TP. keep posting
best wishes

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
You could put window locks on the windows and make sure there's no slippery rugs or trip hazards on the floors.

My mother used to wonder at night before she lost her mobility so I got some amazing portable movement sensitive lights that came on when she passed near and went off a minute later.

Social services can provide door or bedroom mat alarms that trigger a remote buzzer if stepped on.

My mum also used to raid the fridge but she was on pureed food so fridge raiding was dangerous. I put a child lock on it and on cupboards that I didn't want her to get into.

We also got a WiFi heating control so she couldn't play with the central heating.

In other words there's quite a lot you can do depending on what's needed. And that's where a needs assessment from social services or other professional will help. But I also think that maybe some daycare would give your auntie something interesting to do and give your uncle a regular day or two off.

Making a fuss of your uncle, preferably when auntie is either elsewhere or occupied would probably help too. Caring is just so relentless and demanding and too often the attention is on the person who has dementia and the poor carer gets forgotten.

I hope that this helps and your uncle gets some support. Best of luck with it.

howarthg

Mar 14, 2017
Hi. My aunt has dementia for a number of years now and is in between stage 6 and 7. My uncle cares for her 24/7 but recently we noticed that his health is declining and that he also needs to look after himself more. Understandable he find this very difficult so we want to make daily things a little bit easier for him by looking at making the house safer. So he doesn't have to worry all the time about her wondering off or her trying to get out of a window. Any suggestions?

Hi have you heard of memo minders, small divice that a message can be recorded on, each time the pwd approches the door it activates the recorded message to remind the pwd not to open or go through the door, it can also alert the carer that the pwd is attepting to open the door

Florine

Mar 8, 2017
Thank you

Thank you so much for your comments. Made me feel very welcome and knowing that there is so much help out there. Luckily they are ok with their finances and don't have to think about selling their house. I have contacted adult social services for both assessments so that will be arranged. I've also looked at those window locks and the slippery rug also sounds good.
Thank you again our comments have been a great help and a first step to make things better for my aunt and uncle.