Safeguarding

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Dear All,

I am 57 year old son having given up work, London life, to look after my mum who has now Late Stage Dementia.

I looked after her for two years before reluctantly gi ibg her up to a care home.

It was a mistake. It was a poor care home. I have been fighting the council to get her moved but all the issues - mum defecating in the care home's lounge three times, being allowed to sit there naked two mornings before being discovered, being allowed to walk to the far dining toom naked, sobbing and sodden with urine and feaces in the mornings and left unattended, four unwitnessed falls in three weeks (each resulting in a trip to A and E) and a chest infection resulting in a wars stay, a trip back to the care home for a say before being readmitted for a month for sepsis.

Each time I have complained the answer has been 'Well, she's not going to get better' so more of these incidents will take place.
What about her privacy? Her dignity? Her Quality of Life?

The care home, since I have complained, have tried to make my time difficult - restricting my hours, my meetings, etc.i was sectioned for stress

While Mum was in hospital was in hospital I was asked by Physical Therapy to help them move mum from the bed to a chair to try and encourage her to walk. I did. Mum was sat in the chair but wanted to go back to the bed. I was alone. I should have told her no and waited for help. I tried to move her myself. She Def ate on the floor. Help finally arrived. I was so distressed I left immediately.

I have by the nurse been the subject of a Safeguarding.

This will never happen again. I was asked to help. I trued to help.

What can they do? Deprive me of seeing Mum? Do I get a solicitor? I am only trying my best and have felt hammered down by defeat after defeat. I only want the best for Mum and resent the implication otherwise. I was unwise and feel great regret but how do I over one this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Andyp101

I don`t know how you can get over this but do think you could be helped by the National Dementia Helpline or by getting in contact with the Admiral Nurses.
Admiral Nurses are there to help and sup[port carers.

The Dementia Helpline phone number is

National Dementia Helpline

0300 222 11 22

Helpline opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday

9am – 8pm

Thursday and Friday

9am – 5pm

Saturday and Sunday

10am – 4pm

The Helpline for the Admiral Nurses

0800 888 6678

https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

You do sounds distressed which is not surprising and these people who man the Helplines may be able to help advise you on the next steps.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi Andyp101 my heart goes out to you it really does your poor poor mum how awful for her and for you it really is heartbreaking reading your post ,sending big ((((((((hugs))))) to you ,I hope you get something sorted soon please keep posting x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar