Safeguarding issues.

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
I have a stepfather in a care home for the past year. He has never complained about his care and although his mood can get quite low he appears to make the best of his situation. He is unable to walk and prone to chest infections, last November l received a phone call from his social worker to say that the care home had called an ambulance has he was unwell and the ambulance crew had lodged a complaint about the manner in which the staff at the home handled him. l asked if she had spoken to the home and she said she had, the home denied any wrong doing and remarked the ambulance took Two hours to arrive and couldn’t get the stretcher in the lift also allegedly were very rude and nothing could be proved either way.
Forward to this week, he has yet another chest infection which has been treated with antibiotics in the home, however things took a turn for the worst and an ambulance was called again, the staff have now reported a safeguarding issue against the home over his infected pressure sores and infection around the catheter site. He currently is in hospital and starting to improve.
I have not heard from social worker yet but would like to know if l can insist on him being moved as he is funded by the local authority so not sure of his rights, can anyone please advise me so l am informed over how to handle this worrying issue.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Forgetting any previous problems, you could contact safeguarding at your LA, express your concerns (with evidence) and await result.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you feel that you can't get anywhere on your own, it may be worth talking to the experts on the Helpline as they may be able to give you a few pointers. The details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm