Safeguarding issues raised ....again

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I thought I’d start a new thread, in the hope that someone out in forum land has experience of safeguarding issues at a care home.

up until a couple of months ago Dads home was exceptional...... now it’s at times poor!
It depends on who is on duty & who you speak to; so having concerns I asked the lovely advice of the forum , following which I emailed my concerns to myDads social worker, who informed me to contact the access team, who contacted safeguarding & an office based person assessed the issues spoke to the care home & said - yep all in hand with the care home....... just check the replies from the manager & let me know if there are any issues you aren’t happy with!!!!

What a joke
- no record or need Of a profiling bed
- no record of any falls this year! Despite Dad having large dressings & bruising & photos being taken & scarring now evident on his head!
- no record of SALT assessment since in home
- no record of OT assessment since in home
- no record of CMHT since in home
- no record of any dementia team assessments
- no record of mobility issues
- no record of swallowing issues

oh the list goes on.....

so I’m now trying to get help for my Dad from a reluctant home manager, a community nurse who won’t meet us without safeguarding being present,( but managed to advise a GP to take Dad off his pain relief patches after her assessment today! No matter what his medical history says!!!)

my poor Dad, it’s not acceptable -

no matter how many times we tell the GP surgery that if medical staff are going out to see Dad we would like to be present... no one lets us know!
Decisions are made that are not in his best interests or welfare by people who should know better!

so tomorrow finally we have wangled a 10 minute appointment with a GP at another practice which is part of the one my Dad is registered at!
Oh it’s only taken 6 call backs, several visits to the surgery & a major temper tantrum ( on my part !) to get a face to face appointment

Amazing how the Gp can get to the home but can’t meet us!!

especially as Dads dementia is so advanced he has issues with speech & expressing himself!

if I treated my dogs like this I’d be up in court! Yet if you have dementia it seems that this is acceptable behaviour

I thought mums GP was useless this one of Dads whom I’ve never met, ( I have tried believe me! ) beggars belief!
The pathetic excuses & when asked do you think this is in his (Dads) best interests deferred to a community nurse who has been named in ignoring safeguarding issues concerning my father....... she of the no need for pain patches , back onto co codamol that he can’t swallow & chokes on!

arrrrgggghhhh!

please let this nightmare end!

I love my Dad but can’t bear to see him in pain & distress.

I have no social worker to contact as one hasnt now been allocated to this case.... so until this is assessed I’m battling on pestering the old social service contacts so I have a paper trail to show my concerns!

This can’t be happening.... again

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@DesperateofDevon Sorry no experience of this so no help but it sounds like a nightmare.

Sending you lots of strength just like you have done for me on lots of occasions. It all gets a bit much at times. Huge ((((((hugs)))))

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
You dont seem to be doing very well with doctors in your neck of the woods. When I was worried about mum I found out when the GP would be actually in the care home (he came in quite regularly) and arranged to meet him then

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon Sorry no experience of this so no help but it sounds like a nightmare.

Sending you lots of strength just like you have done for me on lots of occasions. It all gets a bit much at times. Huge ((((((hugs)))))
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
You dont seem to be doing very well with doctors in your neck of the woods. When I was worried about mum I found out when the GP would be actually in the care home (he came in quite regularly) and arranged to meet him then

Appreciate it folks
Xx

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
From experience (normally very quiet and reserved), I find those who shout the loudest get the best attention.
Stand up for what you believe in and don't accept second best. You have to be very direct, demand in writing that any changes must be made with your approval. It is surprising but once you become a right pain in the neck people tend to bend over backwards to make sure everything is OK.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
I'm so sorry that you have to face all this extra frustration - as if everything else wasn't difficult enough!

I agree with @Alex54 - make a noise and if it were me, I'd do everything in writing (even if you speak on the phone, follow up what you discussed with an email outlining all the things you've just discussed). I'm sorry to say but this usually makes people sit up and notice a little bit more. Wishing you all the best with this.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Have approached the surgery & had an appointment yesterday with lovely GP who is going to take on Dads case!
Result

took aged mother to her hospital appointment- 6 hours in the car there & back plus hospital appointment!

Last night phone call from home ( yay!) Dads wrist & hand very swollen- 111 called & paracetamol prescribed- no GP visit as on call generic doctor.
Dad in extreme distress, but classic fm & some cuddles calmed him by midnight. Left him snoring in unison to the radio.Home before 1pm, lovely night staff who have experience of Dad & talked off other staff finding him on the floor in his room recently.

Phone call this morning from paramedic nurse connected to the surgery- um I’m ashamed to say I was fast asleep past 11am - so quick shower & into care home; Dad sat at table not eating or drinking even with encouragement...
non compliant with nurse examining him sadly I didn’t get there in time! Really needed that shower but now feel guilty that because of that I missed her!!

still Dad in antibiotics but swelling & pain still there so might be a hospital admission if things don’t improve!
Except - Dad specifically stated that at this stage he doesn’t want intervention.

one step at a time. . . .

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@DesperateofDevon hospital stays are off limits to dad now unless he fell and broke something god forbid. His GP discussed it with me and we will avoid it if we possibly can.

Dad's on palliative care and can have anything that will help keep him comfortable and he is very comfortable at the moment but his previous hospital stay was a nightmare for all of us.

Hope it isn't necessary for your dad. Sending you a huge hug.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon hospital stays are off limits to dad now unless he fell and broke something god forbid. His GP discussed it with me and we will avoid it if we possibly can.

Dad's on palliative care and can have anything that will help keep him comfortable and he is very comfortable at the moment but his previous hospital stay was a nightmare for all of us.

if they want to do I V antibiotics I don’t think it would be in Dads best interests . The transfer to hospital etc would be so distressing especially as he is non compliant.

off to see how things are this morning.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So this evening the paramedics are called out!

remember my mum & flamingo gate? Well lovely paramedic was the same one!!!
At least he’s met both parents now...,,

dad prescribed oromorph.. severely dehydrated & best interests mean not taking him into hospital. Little love is comfortable & peaceful, lovely team on night duty!

so folks here I am sat listening to the clock ticking by at home with the rain pouring outside. Spicy mulled wine in hand - OH is snoring away after a large bowl of cheerios- hey each to their own.

dads on the homeward leg now... so I’m off to sleep as it seems surreal but a relief that my darling dad won’t be in pain again now & will sleep tonight peacefully.
He’d be mortified he’s crashed out in bed in his clothes - didn’t want to distress him after all the tests & prodding by the lovely paramedics

oohh! Just to say nothing ever runs smoothly here .... prescription sent by duty Dr to a pharmacy that was closed!!!

A&E triage team sorted out the mistake... lovely nursing staff at A& E couldn’t have been kinder, sweeter or quicker; I will be forever grateful to the paramedics & A&E staff for getting that pain relief sorted - as well as the care home staff who stayed hours past their shift to ensure Dad had the care & meds in place he required.
Tonight I’m going to sleep knowing that tomorrow will be relatively pain free for Dad.

baby steps....

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Safeguarding- so who do you turn to when Safeguarding leaves your PWD in a vulnerable position ?

Dads social worker hasn’t seen him since January 2019?

We have evidence to prove issues but not a landline number, email contact address to even request an addressto send it to & it’s confidential material !

so far the safeguarding process has been about the care home & not really about Dads needs or health issues that the home haven’t addressed.

I really am in knots now! I have issues with the safeguarding process itself. I don’t know what I should expect or how I am meant to contact these professionals?

yes I phoned last week to ask for contact details.... no one could contact the person chairing the meeting or knew about them. ?

help .....?? Anyone???

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

how did you get your Dad on palliative Care? As the home produced dispensable paracetamol instead of his oromorph, the home are saying he doesn’t require it though he’s on a Butec Pat that’s now been doubled to 10 mg

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
@DesperateofDevon, as you know, I have no direct experience, and am only beginning to have any indirect experience of the "system" (which seems every bit as cruel as the disease itself :mad:), so am in no position to advise. But (with apologies if this has already been discussed previously), have you tried contacting the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman? Or would that necessitate jumping through yet more exhausting, formal and stupidly long procedures before you could approach them? Somehow I doubt it would get a quick result.

In your shoes and surrounded by brick walls, I might be considering contacting my MP and even the media as a last resort. Or threatening to do so. MPs may all be too distracted with their own futures now, of course, but bad publicity can sometimes generate action(?) - if not as rapidly as you need.

For all I know these may be ridiculous and pointless suggestions, and not worth the effort - in which case ignore. Other than that I can only offer sympathy, which is no use to you at all. I do hope you find a way through this latest nightmare.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon, as you know, I have no direct experience, and am only beginning to have any indirect experience of the "system" (which seems every bit as cruel as the disease itself :mad:), so am in no position to advise. But (with apologies if this has already been discussed previously), have you tried contacting the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman? Or would that necessitate jumping through yet more exhausting, formal and stupidly long procedures before you could approach them? Somehow I doubt it would get a quick result.

In your shoes and surrounded by brick walls, I might be considering contacting my MP and even the media as a last resort. Or threatening to do so. MPs may all be too distracted with their own futures now, of course, but bad publicity can sometimes generate action(?) - if not as rapidly as you need.

For all I know these may be ridiculous and pointless suggestions, and not worth the effort - in which case ignore. Other than that I can only offer sympathy, which is no use to you at all. I do hope you find a way through this latest nightmare.

I actually have thought of all these but actually don’t have the energy to keep fighting this hard against the system- I just wanted to be the daughter for a while! Time waits for no man!

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. :( To have to engage in fights like this on top of everything else is an appalling situation - and one that so many people on TP seem to be in at one time or another. Or indeed constantly! After following another thread recently, I read The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring. In it, the author said he hoped one day there would be some kind of union (I think that's the word he used) representing unpaid carers. If only ...

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
how did you get your Dad on palliative Care? As the home produced dispensable paracetamol instead of his oromorph, the home are saying he doesn’t require it though he’s on a Butec Pat that’s now been doubled to 10 mg

Dad's medical team decided his treatment when they found his oesophageal cancer about 18 months ago. It has worked well because he is still here and symptom free. He was referred to the hospice at the same time and they ring me once a month to see how he is.

Dad's not on any medication other than donepezil and a couple of routine pills. He doesn't need pain relief yet so I don't know about any of these things. I think the idea is to keep dad comfortable but not to prolong life. I think dad has other ideas though as he has decided to live forever.

We were happy with everything they decided so perhaps we were just lucky.

I am sorry that you are doing through what seems to be an awful fight to get your dad cared for properly. It is hard enough to cope already without having the extra stress and worry. I hope that it all gets sorted out and you can be the daughter again.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So the “safeguarding review” is now complete

it’s a bit non specific & all concerns raised haven’t been addressed

the positive aspect is I have support from family & am not alone in wanting answers

let’s hope......

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
You are lucky you have family to help support you. I had no-one apart from my husband who could only do so much. My dad had Safeguarding issues all over the place and a social worker who appeared only occasionally and forced me to move dad from a nursing home where he was happy and settled to one where, on paper, it was better but dad's care wasn't as good and he wasn't as happy. It meant moving him 100 miles when he was approaching the end of life and then two hospital stays. I was then on my own trying to visit to settle dad but it was a lost cause. Dad died 5 months later in a terrible way as the anticipatory medication wasn't used. The system is a mess and however much we try to do right for our loved one it never seems to be enough. I am left heart-broken and blaming myself as I couldn't make my dad's end easier.
Karen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman