Safeguarding aunt's money - opinions on what to do please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@MartinWL , if you scratch the numbers off the back no scam callers will have enough details to get at your dad's money, but he would still be able to get money from the bank or pay for any transactions. Don't know if that will work. My mum's eyesight was too bad for her to read her card details, so she didn't get scammed in that way. It still didn't stop her going out and taking regular amounts of money from the bank, or buying things she didn't need though.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
And the scammers are getting more devious these days. I had a call yesterday and as soon as he asked for card number, I would have hung up but he didn't.

He was taking his time firstly telling me that there had been two charges made against my card today totaling several thousand dollars. Nothing appeared on my account but he persisted. Had I lost my card, did anyone else have access to my card etc. and by this time I was waiting for him to ask for my card details. I requested a reference number for the call and he hung up.

Maybe now they are trying to be a it more convincing about what they are doing and I could see where someone could be freaked out by the potential loss of a large sum of money.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Is it Go Henry? There's something about it on one of @maryjoan threads & she was going to report back on it
There are a number of prepaid debit cards on the market - it did not work at all for us. I put my partner's pocket money on it each week for him, but he kept trying to spend more than was on the card. So I then tried texting him each morning telling him how much he had left to spend and asking him to look at the text before he bought anything. After the card being declined about 40 times the company put a permanent block on it - not surprising.
We now have resorted to putting cash into his code locked meds box for the carer to give to him each Monday - not the best idea in the world, as it puts the onus on the carer - but to be quite honest, we could not think of anything else.

I did try approaching some of the building societies that still did pass books, but it was not practicable. I thought he could go to them and draw physical cash out once a week - but it never happened.

Female1952

Apr 6, 2021
I registered my POA with my aunt's bank and took away her debit card and cheque book. I got her a prepaid card and kept it topped up to £200. It was also useful when she wasn't answering the phone or had locked out the carers - I could see that an hour earlier she'd spent £8.00 at the corner shop.
After a few months I closed her current account and opened one with my bank. This was more convenient for me and if she'd gone to her old bank they couldn't have given her any money.
She's now been in a care home for 4 years and is way past caring about money or banks.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I have had to deal now with the scammers pretending to be the police, which my dad beloved. I checked out some credentials and concluded that this was a scam call. The fake detective called again whist I was there and immediately hung up when I took over the call. I have spent a lot of time talking to the bank and BT and have put as many safeguards in place as I can but there are not really many tools in the tool box. I do not want to take away my Dad's independence, just to ensure that the damage is limited if ever the scumbags succeed!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have had to deal now with the scammers pretending to be the police, which my dad beloved. I checked out some credentials and concluded that this was a scam call. The fake detective called again whist I was there and immediately hung up when I took over the call. I have spent a lot of time talking to the bank and BT and have put as many safeguards in place as I can but there are not really many tools in the tool box. I do not want to take away my Dad's independence, just to ensure that the damage is limited if ever the scumbags succeed!
Have you gotten one of BT call blocking phones?

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
With POA I deal with the "main" bank account and all the regular bills etc but set up another "cash expenses" account with a different bank, as scammers had previously been able to access a savings account (still unclear exactly how) held at the main bank. Top this account up monthly so the balance is a maximum of a few hundred pounds (text alerts when balance drops too low in the interim) and PWD only has a debit card for this account. The new debit card doesn't even have the sort code and account number on it but I think this must just be standard practice with this particular bank. Call Guardian phone is set so all non contacts have to announce themselves. Via the online BT account and with Call Protect you can keep an eye on incoming (as well as outgoing calls) - Your Security-Manage/Landline Security-BT Call Protect-Manage/Your recent callers - Manage. You can see the latest 20 calls and blacklist individual numbers from afar as well as check the blacklist settings eg BT's blacklist, withheld and international calls. Some piece of mind as I live far away from PWD.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Yes I have thought of doing that with the bank but I can imagine it would be difficult to do without his cooperation and he is one of those who doesn't believe he has dementia at all so that might be difficult. A separate account with the same bank might work.In I have set up BT call protect and blocked withheld numbers and one unregistered mobile. Unfortunately using the telephone had become a bit of a problem already and he has to be able to answer the phone by lifting the receiver with no need to press any buttons. It also has to be amplified by default. So choice of phone is limited. If he had to decide whether to take a call after hearing the caller announce themselves and maybe press a button I could expect that to crash and burn as a plan.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
With my mum, we had to go further than install a phone which blocked unknown callers as she could not understand that she had to press a button to block them. Instead we bought a Truecall unit which only accepted numbers which I input ie friends and family. Withheld numbers were rejected and any unknown ones got a message ( my voice) telling them to call me if they needed to speak to mum and I gave them my mobile number. In eighteen months I only had one call! Scammers did not bother. Mum had no idea that that this blocker had been installed as we hid the box beneath a cupboard! I paid a small fee to get access to an App which gave me a breakdown of all the calls so I could check if anyone important was trying to contact her.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
That's very interesting @Lynmax , thank you. I will remember that for the future if things get worse. Limiting callers to approved numbers is very restrictive though, and could prevent a lot of legitimate and desirable calls.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I agree Martin but the advantage of paying a small annual fee meant that I could see all the numbers of people who had tried to call mum and if there were repeated numbers, I called them back or added them to the trusted list. All medical appointments etc already had my contact details as I always took mum to them. I was lucky that Mum had a very full address book so I was able to input all our relatives and friends to the trusted list. The one call I had from someone who listened to my message was during the first lock down when Manchester City players were phoning elderly season ticket holders to check that they were ok. I had a lovely chat to one of their female football team!

In Mums case, she had given her bank details to a few companies without fully understanding what they were selling - when we began helping her with banking we found insurance premiums for products she did not own, like Sky and kitchen appliances, direct debits to several charities and a couple of debits that we had no idea about! I think we saved her over £100 a month when we cancelled them!

Female1952

Apr 6, 2021
Yes I have thought of doing that with the bank but I can imagine it would be difficult to do without his cooperation and he is one of those who doesn't believe he has dementia at all so that might be difficult. A separate account with the same bank might work.In I have set up BT call protect and blocked withheld numbers and one unregistered mobile. Unfortunately using the telephone had become a bit of a problem already and he has to be able to answer the phone by lifting the receiver with no need to press any buttons. It also has to be amplified by default. So choice of phone is limited. If he had to decide whether to take a call after hearing the caller announce themselves and maybe press a button I could expect that to crash and burn as a plan.
I had POA for my aunt. I made an appointment with the bank, took in a copy and took over her account because she no longer had capacity.. I didn't have to prove more than that. I told my aunt afterwards. If she'd still had capacity, she could have challenged this - but she didn't.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I had POA for my aunt. I made an appointment with the bank, took in a copy and took over her account because she no longer had capacity.. I didn't have to prove more than that. I told my aunt afterwards. If she'd still had capacity, she could have challenged this - but she didn't.
This is a lot easier when the pwd has lost capacity to the extent of not caring. When the pwd is still able to do a bit of shopping and defends their independence it is more tricky to manage.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Protecting against scammers. BT Call Protect used effectively and successfully.
I have the full PoA for both health and wealth for my elderly sister who has advanced Alzheimer's and over the past two & half years have taken over the complete management of her life. Not easy, because I live permanently in Switzerland and she in South Devon. On top of that came Covid, so until this past June, I have not been able to visit her in person since December 2019.

She was forever being attacked by scammers, and after I obtained full PoA access to her accounts I set about putting a stop to it, including fighting with the banks to get help, virtually impossible on international call lines. I even created a new account and shifted all Bona Fide Direct Debits and income payments. However, new attempts kept being entered on the new account, which I promptly deleted. The problem was the phone scammers, phishing for bits and pieces of the house appliance information, bank account partial numbers building up enough information for their Database to send the inevitable letter "we will start to debit next week unless you cancel... ". Which my sister never did, she didn't understand what the letter was. She had lost several 1000s I estimate over time before I was able to stop all these debits. I also stopped all banking post to my sister's address, online access only, so she wouldn't have the number information anywhere. The biggest danger were still those "friendly" or "aggressively scary" phone call scammers.

What I did was the following. I have access to my sister's BT Account via the internet. She also has BT's Call Protect. I set it up first a list of VIP names of people I know who need to call her, then I set Call Protect to block all calls at any time of each day of the week. However, anyone in the VIP list can still get through. I tested this by waiting until she was once out of the house and then remove my VIP permission and tried to call her. Of course, it failed, I tried several numbers mobile and fixed phone numbers and suppressed number. Once I was sure, I reinstated myself. Fortunately, I am myself a pensioner, so I checked her BT callers every day and used the various scam caller check sites to see if the numbers were scammers. I also looked out for local area numbers, sometimes friends calling, maybe. These I rang and asked. Over time, I built up a VIP list of today 49 numbers, many of which I knew, Friends, Family, Doctor, Carer Management company etc. They all know they must use their registered phone number and NOT suppress their number. When I was over there this June, I was 11 days in the house, although daily scammers tried to call (I saw from the BT Website), not once did the phone ring unless it was a VIP person.
Mobile phones which were used to call, I entered in my WhatsApp Account and surprise, surprise, the pictures of these scammers sometimes appeared and their links to Facebook too. In one case I traced a potential scammer to his actual address in Bournemouth, know all scammer companies he has had in the past and also the court offences he has had. But he had only wanted to scam my sister, so no proof of anything.
For a while I reported every attempted scam call using the BT call, you can only Blacklist 100 numbers in your account you don't want to call you, useless, but you can report them to BT individually. Hope it has helped other persons.
Now the scam danger level seems to have dropped considerably. No longer are attempts being made to setup direct debits for "appliance and insurance" companies. I can sleep again at night, I still check the account daily, but now only once a day. The scammers can repeat their calls all they want, most of them are automated anyway.

So the bottom line is use BT Call Protect, set up a VIP list of callers and forbid any other callers including those who don't display their number. Only once did this happen that someone was trying to get through, then after a few attempts they used the number and I could call them back, it was someone from the Alzheimer's department from a hospital.
So I would say it is a pretty safe way to get peace of mind. It worked for me, but I am often using the computer, it was my profession. Ask for more information if it is not clear.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Thanks for your response @GROCKLE

This is a thread from 2015, previous last post was a year ago (the date of a post is in the top left hand corner of the text box)

The thread is now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.