Safe heating

clairabelle

Aug 31, 2018
Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has come across any room heaters that can supplement the central heating. My MIL is now randomly covering her convector heater with clothes etc and we are seeking advive on safer alternatives. Many thanks

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @clairabelle . I used oil filled electric radiator for my dad. You’re not really supposed to cover them but I think they’re safer than convector heaters especially if you keep them on a fairly low heat. They are very efficient.

My dad went through a phase of drying his clothes on his electric hob and in the oven. It’s sometimes difficult to keep PWD safe when they’re on their own.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi im living now with my dad but a few yrs ago when he was forgetting to put he’s heating on and no longer able to remember how the control worked i got a electric fire with a fake log top and blow air heating on the bottom seems fairly safe and pretty easy to use

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Radiators with no air-blow are the safest option. If the appliance has a vent like a fan heater or convector heater then it can be blocked by laundry, or anything pushed against it. That is a possible fire hazard. I would always advise oil filled radiators or some other type that can be covered over. If it says "do not cover" then "do not buy" for a PWD.