sadness

jeanette

Apr 14, 2005
from england living in france
hi my name is jeanette and this is my first message.
My husband Malcolm was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2004.
He had been acting out of character for about 3 years, I put it down to growing old. Sometimes when you spoke to him he would look at you blankly and it would take him a few minutes to answer.
Now off course I can understand why he acted like he did. He is only 59 and I feel like I have lost him.He still knows me but has diffculty with everyone else.
We moved to France Last year because this was something we had planned many years ago before he became ill. He loves it here and he can go out for walks on is own,our nieghbours know about Malcolms illness and they have been very kind.I some times worry about the future but mostly I live one day at a time.
I am so pleased to have found this sight has I know you all know how it feels

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jeanette
welcome to TP.
I can promise you that on this site you wii find many others who understand your problems.
Post a message when you feel the need, we will always listen.
best wishes
Norman

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Jeanette, welcome. What a shock to have a diagnosis at 59. It is not something you think of at that age, is it.
I can empathise as Lionel was diagnosed at 60, three years ago. It is a learning curve this caring business, but you will win through. Post whenever you can, someone is always around to give advice and encouragement or just TLC.
We care, love CONNIE

jeanette

Apr 14, 2005
from england living in france
hi Connie
Its a great comfort to know that there are people out there who know what it is like. Some days are good like today we have been for a walk which malcolm likes doing,and he his responsive and other days he dosen't want to do anything,He has lost most of his skills. He worked in computing for thirty years,building all the familys pc but now he can only play games on them ,which in a way is positive as it is keeping is brain active, and he also does word search cross words. he has been given Reminyl which is helping with his interactive skills but his memory is poor. We have 2 adult children and 2 grandaughters it is hard for our daughter as she gets angry that she has lost dad, she is trying to adjust to her dad now but it is hard for her as she wants the old dad back, our eldest grandaughter misses the grandad who used to play with her and do silly things. our son seems to take it in his stride. I miss the things we used to do together. I am adjusting to having to do everything which is not easy when we have shared things for the past 40years, and I really miss discussing things with him. We are young 59year olds and we are fit and healthy which I think is helping me.

Last edited: