1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. tuffydawn

tuffydawn Registered User

Mar 30, 2015
    someone helped my oh buy a christmas card for me he gave it to me today still fully wrapped in cellophane price label on it and nothing written inside made me feel very empty and sad as he clearly had no idea what to do with card

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Sending love & hugs Dawn.

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I'm so sorry, I understand how upsetting this kind of thing can be :( Sending you (((hugs)))

4. Beth56

Beth56 Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    Xxxxxxx sending hugs,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. mary2000

mary2000 Registered User

Mar 24, 2016
    Female
    West Sussex
    Thinking of you xx

6. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Dawn,

You have to remember that under all the confusion your OH is there. He gave you the card so therefore he does still love you. Last year I found it heart breaking reminding dad to give presents to my brothers.

Happy Xmas

MaNaAk

7. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    As has been said the thought was there.

I buy cards now for mum from dad , we draw in them or stick things on. Mum feels he has tried which touches her even if he doesn't fully understand.
    Perhaps if the person who helped buy the card helped him sign It etc you may have felt better, I don't know xx

8. Del24

Del24 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Hertfordshire
    I buy my own birthday and Chistmas cards to me and then get my wife to write something although her writing is nearly gone.

9. irismary

irismary Registered User

Feb 7, 2015
    West Midlands
    I saved a card from last year and will just put it up as if he got it for me. He can hardly write and just wrote 1 2 3 4 in it. I think it was meant as kisses. It would be nice for someone to get one for him to give me but it doesn't bother me that much, just a bit sad as he always bought me a lovely card.

10. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    That is so sad.

11. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Christmas cards

Hello Tuffydawn, its been a few years now since my husband has given me cards, it did upset me the first time, my last Birthday Card was an Anniversary card, the thought was there. I have kept
    most of my Birthday cards so l
    get a different one out every year, l am sure he would be pleased that l do that, it makes me feel better.

12. Mal2

Mal2 Registered User

Oct 14, 2014
    Enfield
    You have to try and look on the bright side. It doesn't matter about the wrapper, or no signature, he gave it to YOU, a special moment to show you he is in there somewhere, and, still loves you.

5 years ago my OH and I bought each other an expensive Christmas card. They were really nice and we decided we would keep them and re give to each other, every year. I am so pleased we did. Birthday's and Anniversaries, my dau buys the cards for him and he puts a big scrawl over the page, nothing like his name, but, he tries, and, I feel he has tried, just for me. Take heart, enjoy your Christmas together. xxxx

13. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    Sweetie, at least he still had the urge to give it to you, which is lovely. But how sad, when "giving you a card" is just that. I've kept all my late husband's cards, Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas and get them out at the appropriate time.

I compare the writing, especially over the last few years, and it's a bitter-sweet sort of comfort. Thinking of you xxx