Sad video on Facebook

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
I'm not sure how many of you are on Facebook, but a really sad video came up on my timeline of a man called Alan who is suffering from Alzheimer's, begging his old friends to come and visit him like they used to so he could just forget and feel normal sometimes.

I do remember how quickly my MIL's friends dropped off, apart from a few wonderful stoics who even put up with some unpleasant incidents and aggressive moments as the disease progressed.

I'm sure it's a situation that we can all identify with.
J x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I seem to remember seeing that video. Here's the story, including the video, for those who haven't: http://globalnews.ca/news/2438250/i...es-emotional-plea-for-friends-to-talk-to-him/
It is sad, and we experienced the same thing, as my late husband's illness progressed. He lost the ability to make conversation, so people stopped visiting. "Bring someone with you, so you can talk to each other, and sort of include him." I suggested - and some did, once or twice. But months & months would go by with no-one coming at all.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
It's heartbreaking - human interaction is for most people the very essence of their existence. I have asked my son to take his girlfriend to the hospital to visit my Mum. Small talk is not easy but at least with a third party there is a semblance of a conversation.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Thank LadyA for posting the link. I couldn't work out how to do it.

It was such a powerful and heartfelt speech.
J x