Sad News

lisa1970

Jul 11, 2015
I joined the forum a few weeks ago. I was a carer for my mother in law who was in the early to middle stages of Alzheimer's.
I took her to her post diagnostic support group a week Tuesday gone. Physically she was in great health and enjoyed the class immensely. Half way through the class she took a amassive stroke. Right in front of me, with no warning. She died the next day in hospital. I am totally heartbroken and still in a state of shock. I can however find comfort in the fact that this dreadful disease did not get the better of her. Her worst fear was needing care and not recognising her loved ones. She is now back with the husband that she lost 34 yrs ago today.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I am sorry to read your sad news, my sincere condolences. But I understand your comments, she was living her life to the full and I hope you can take comfort from that.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Lisa, I am so sorry to read your sad news. It must have been dreadful for you to actually witness your mother in law's stroke, and it's only natural that you still feel in shock from it.

The only blessing being, as you say, that at least she did not suffer a slow deterioration.

I send you my sincere condolences and wish you strength and comfort as you grieve.

(((Hugs)))

Lindy xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh Lisa, that's awful.

But I think you have the right take on this, as traumatic as it must have been for her, you and everyone witnessing this.

Please don't hesitate to post again should you need support at this very sad time.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
What a shock for you, but, as you say, a blessing for her.

Thinking of you.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
What a cruel shock for you, I am so sorry. But having seen my poor mother go on and on with this vile disease, to end in such a pitiful state at 97, I can only think it was a blessing for your MIL So terribly hard for those who loved her, though.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lisa, what a horrible shock for you-I'm very sorry that you had to witness your MIL having a stroke-but glad that she went when she did. As you say she missed the long decline but very, very sad nonetheless.

Love

Lyn T XX

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It's a shock. My mother died the same way. She, and one of her sisters who was staying with her, walked up to the postbox, where she had a stroke. She died there.
My thoughts are with you at this time.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm so sorry to hear your shocking news but I am glad you are able to find comfort in all of this. At least it was very quick. My father died unexpectedly and although it was the most horrible shock, at least we were saved from watching him decline over 15 years, as we have done so far with my mother.

My condolences to you and your family.

bronwyn

Oct 5, 2013
mum

I joined the forum a few weeks ago. I was a carer for my mother in law who was is now out of it.n the early to middle stages of Alzheimer's.
I took her to her post diagnostic support group a week Tuesday gone. Physically she was in great health and enjoyed the class immensely. Half way through the class she took a amassive stroke. Right in front of me, with no warning. She died the next day in hospital. I am totally heartbroken and still in a state of shock. I can however find comfort in the fact that this dreadful disease did not get the better of her. Her worst fear was needing care and not recognising her loved ones. She is now back with the husband that she lost 34 yrs ago today.

Sorry to hear the news, at keast peace now. Mum passed away last week and I feel such relief that she
is now out of it.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh my god, what a shock for you, no wonder you are reeling. I'm so sorry, and yet glad that you find some comfort in the fact that the illness did not get her. I would feel the same , I think. Wishing you peace and strength for the days to come.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson