Sad news

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that my beautiful wife Linda passed away yesterday afternoon, after a 6 year dementia journey.

If you've read my numerous posts/contributions, you may recall that back in August, after getting a UTI whilst in respite for 2 weeks, she went from hospital to full time care in a nursing home in late September.

A few weeks before Christmas, she had another UTI (spending 3 days in hospital again) which really seemed to knock her down. They started having a job to get her to take food (not opening her mouth, then probs swallowing).

Last Monday, they called the GP as her heart rate dropped and he prescribed end of life meds. She didn't need these until Friday but we had to watch her deteriorate further until yesterday, her breathing had become rapid and shallow. She kept fighting, bless her, until mid afternoon and it was very harrowing for me and the family to witness, but we were all glad we were with her.

She is at peace now - its just so unfair that she had to go through any of this at such a young age (69 a couple of weeks ago). This dreadful disease has robbed us both of our retirement years we had planned and looked forward to.

I am both relieved and heartbroken.

RIP my lovely.

Many thanks to TP and members for being there these last 6 years.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that my beautiful wife Linda passed away yesterday afternoon, after a 6 year dementia journey.

If you've read my numerous posts/contributions, you may recall that back in August, after getting a UTI whilst in respite for 2 weeks, she went from hospital to full time care in a nursing home in late September.

A few weeks before Christmas, she had another UTI (spending 3 days in hospital again) which really seemed to knock her down. They started having a job to get her to take food (not opening her mouth, then probs swallowing).

Last Monday, they called the GP as her heart rate dropped and he prescribed end of life meds. She didn't need these until Friday but we had to watch her deteriorate further until yesterday, her breathing had become rapid and shallow. She kept fighting, bless her, until mid afternoon and it was very harrowing for me and the family to witness, but we were all glad we were with her.

She is at peace now - its just so unfair that she had to go through any of this at such a young age (69 a couple of weeks ago). This dreadful disease has robbed us both of our retirement years we had planned and looked forward to.

RIP my lovely.

My condolences @Philbo . Such sad news .

kindred

Apr 8, 2018

RIP my lovely.

And my condolences, too, Philbo. You are such a good man. warmest, Kindred.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
My condolences @Philbo to you and your family. I totally understand the sentiment of relief and heartbreak. Take care of yourself.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Condolences Philbo - so sorry to hear this.

I have always admired the way you were able to see through the carers fog of dementia and arrange your weekly pub group, and take respite when needed for yourself and family trips.

I know it stole your retirement but you did your best to enjoy life with your wife.

I hope you can see you did your very best for her.

xx JM

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So sad to read your news @Philbo

I hope there's comfort for you and your family in knowing you were with your Linda, as you have been throughout

Be kind to yourself

And post here if it helps... you are such a kind, thoughtful member of this community

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
So sad to read your news @Philbo

I hope there's comfort for you and your family in knowing you were with your Linda, as you have been throughout

Be kind to yourself

And post here if it helps... you are such a kind, thoughtful member of this community
The pattern of your wife’s ending is sadly so familiar in people with dementia. I hope that your time on TP helped to prepare you for this. It certainly helped me understand what was happening with my husband. My best wishes to you for your peace of mind.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength for the days and weeks to come. Please keep using talking point as you will continue to find much needed support here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife