Sad news about Dad

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @DaveCR 1968,

I know this will take a long time but you will get the answers and you will get closure.

MaNaAk

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
Hi all

As an update, the PM reported that dad's death was unnatural and that there will be an inquest, scheduled for December. It seems dad's injuries were more severe than first thought and it was reported that he also had three broken ribs.

I haven't heard anything from the Safeguarding investigation people but they are scheduled to call me soon for an update.

Regards

Dave

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Really sorry to hear what you have gone through, my Dad's on his 4th sectioning this week after another Nursing Home decided they couldn't deal with him, I have my doubts about this and how they dealt with him as in the Hospital he is doing well again (with no changes) I wish you well and push for the truth, accept nothing less. You are spot on, unless people admit and learn from mistakes, nothing will change.

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
Really sorry to hear what you have gone through, my Dad's on his 4th sectioning this week after another Nursing Home decided they couldn't deal with him, I have my doubts about this and how they dealt with him as in the Hospital he is doing well again (with no changes) I wish you well and push for the truth, accept nothing less. You are spot on, unless people admit and learn from mistakes, nothing will change.
Hi

Agreed, there are things the care home have said that really doesn't ring true with dad in respect of his behaviour. He did wander at night but wasn't in any way violent. I spent a month with him before he went into the home.

Don't get me wrong, he could be difficult at times, as dementia sufferers are, but I entrusted my dad's care to the home. I now feel incredibly guilty for doing so.

Regards

Dave

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I hope they get to the bottom of things @DaveCr1968 , so that it doesn't happen again. Try not to feel guilty as something similar may well have happened if you'd tried to keep him at home.

Hoped

May 17, 2020
I am so sorry for the loss of your parents . Keep strong and push for the answers you and your lovely Dad deserve.

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
Hi all

An update to this thread.

There was a Coroner's inquest for my dad where I got a reasonable explanation in respect of dad's injuries, particularly the bleed on the brain and the existing condition of his brain that exacerbated the bleed. Even the Coroner said that the PM report was complicated and he spent quite a lot of time explaining this. The full extent of dad's injuries were not fully explained but they could have been as a result of a "suspected" fall a few days earlier. Indeed the trigger for the fall could have been anything but nevertheless, he wasn't supervised at the time so no-one really knows. Because the inquest does not apportion blame and there was no evidence of criminal activity, it was always going to be accidental death. I did get what I wanted, which was a reasonable explanation of the circumstances surrounding his death. It appears that the carer was attending to another resident when my dad went wandering and fell. He was given sedatives a couple of hours earlier.

The Safeguarding report found that, and I quote: "abuse of neglect was partially substantiated" on the basis that they hadn't adequately assessed the risk of falling, particularly when they started giving him sedatives. There were some mitigation comments, but these were quite woolly. The Coroner went into this quite a bit and the care home have already changed their internal procedures to help prevent it from happening again, so this is good. Whether it would have changed anything had he been risk assessed correctly is open for debate but he would have been kept an eye on more closely at very least. The general care dad was given was good (in my opinion) but in this respect, I feel that the level of care was very substandard.

Regards

Dave