Sad final update about Mum

Metalpetal

May 10, 2020
Hi everyone, some of you will remember that I was here a lot in May/June time as mum was in hospital in Glasgow, with suspected dementia - which was subsequently confirmed as Alzheimer’s.

My reason for posting now is very sad I’m afraid, mum passed away on 27th October :-( But it was unconnected with her issues earlier in the year - her abdominal aneurism ruptured. It was all fairly sudden, although due to it being a rupture rather than it completely bursting, I did have enough time to dash the 400 miles to Glasgow and I was with her (along with my brother) when she passed. She just slipped away really, as her blood pressure lowered and her organs gave up.

I wanted to come back and let you know, as many of you were so very supportive and helpful earlier in the year. But also to share the fact that the Donepezil (sp?) that she was prescribed continued to be miraculous right up until the end. We really did ‘get her back’ for these past few months - unless you knew her really well you’d never spot the ’slips’. We’d been told the medication effects wouldn’t last forever, and so had been approaching this time as ‘making the most of it while it lasted‘, which means we really did treasure the last few months.... more so than if the aneurysm had taken her without her having had the Alzheimer’s journey earlier in the year. So, in a way, although she went through such a time of it back in the spring (she was in hospital 3 months!) it did lead to us all being so thankful for every visit/call/chat we had with each other. And, I suppose, it also helped us deal with her passing perhaps a little more easily, as we’d been prepared for it a bit.

Sorry for writing so much - I guess it’s cathartic! But I also though you might find it interesting to hear that the medication was so helpful and continued to be.

I send love and hugs to you all and hope you’re coping with life/lockdown/caring in the best possible way you can. Take care, MP xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello again @Metalpetal
Im so sorry to hear about your loss, but Im glad that the donepezil meant that you were able to spend treasured time with her and also that you were able to be with her at the end.

Please look after yourself now. You will still need to grieve and in these coming months you will probably find the grief monster gives you a slap when you least expect it!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
@Metalpetal sorry to hear of your mums passing but it seems to have been very peaceful with family there. In these times that is really an achievement. I hope that you are looking after yourself as it will take a little while to come to terms with.
Best wishes and virtual (( hugs))

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear that @Metalpetal , but so glad her passing was peaceful and that you were able to be there. Also glad that you got her 'back' for the last few months , so could really appreciate your lovely mum.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi everyone, some of you will remember that I was here a lot in May/June time as mum was in hospital in Glasgow, with suspected dementia - which was subsequently confirmed as Alzheimer’s.

My reason for posting now is very sad I’m afraid, mum passed away on 27th October :-( But it was unconnected with her issues earlier in the year - her abdominal aneurism ruptured. It was all fairly sudden, although due to it being a rupture rather than it completely bursting, I did have enough time to dash the 400 miles to Glasgow and I was with her (along with my brother) when she passed. She just slipped away really, as her blood pressure lowered and her organs gave up.

I wanted to come back and let you know, as many of you were so very supportive and helpful earlier in the year. But also to share the fact that the Donepezil (sp?) that she was prescribed continued to be miraculous right up until the end. We really did ‘get her back’ for these past few months - unless you knew her really well you’d never spot the ’slips’. We’d been told the medication effects wouldn’t last forever, and so had been approaching this time as ‘making the most of it while it lasted‘, which means we really did treasure the last few months.... more so than if the aneurysm had taken her without her having had the Alzheimer’s journey earlier in the year. So, in a way, although she went through such a time of it back in the spring (she was in hospital 3 months!) it did lead to us all being so thankful for every visit/call/chat we had with each other. And, I suppose, it also helped us deal with her passing perhaps a little more easily, as we’d been prepared for it a bit.

Sorry for writing so much - I guess it’s cathartic! But I also though you might find it interesting to hear that the medication was so helpful and continued to be.

I send love and hugs to you all and hope you’re coping with life/lockdown/caring in the best possible way you can. Take care, MP xx

Dear @Metalpetal.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum but try to remember that she is at rest now and she would have been very proud of you.

Love

MaNaAk

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news but glad that you were with your mum at the end. I hope that is of some comfort to you.

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

Metalpetal

May 10, 2020
Thanks everyone, and wise words @canary ! I am naturally a ‘cope and get on with things’ type of person, but I am trying to make sure I apply enough self care and give myself time to process things.

Take care everyone x