Sad Day

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
Feeling especially sad today. We had a lovely yorkshire terrier that was brought for me when I was 14 by one of my Aunties. Over time and with Dad's developing dementia, she really became his dog.
She wouldn't leave his side and I'm sure somehow she knew that he wasn't well.
For some reason we felt a real need to take Bonnie to go and see Dad last weekend and we all went to the park. We all had a lovely time and Dad even held Bonnie in his chair for a time.

I had to take Bonnie to the vet today as my mum has been unable to cope with her anymore. The vets found blood in her urine a few weeks ago. We have tried all we could, but she died in my arms at lunchtime.

I know some people will find this very strange, but I'm so deeply overcome with grief this afternoon. I'm sure it's because Bonnie was very much associate with Dad and loosing her is like loosing a bit of him to as before he went into his new home they were very attached and thick as thieves.

Thanks for reading as always.

Karen.x

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Karen,

Pets are 100% family members, as well as best friends. Losing one after so many years is heartbreaking. You must be feeling gutted.

I had a labrador for 15 years in Australia. I got her from the pound when she was 6 weeks old. The whole litter of puppies had been dumped on a main highway and she was the only one that hadn't been squashed. She was understandably a bit loopy to begin with, but with a ton of TLC she grew up to be spectacular. She was my best friend and we were devoted to each other. She died when she was just over 15 years old and I cried for a week non stop. I still miss her even now.

There's nothing worse than seeing an empty dog bowl and lead hanging up in the kitchen and no loving dog to greet you every morning. Do think about getting another dog as soon as you can. She/he will never be a replacement, but a whole new character. Your father would probably enjoy a pup too. I've always said, 'never again' and then within a couple of days one has turned up that needed a good home.

Pets are really important in our lives, both to give and receive love and affection. See how you feel in a couple of days' time.

Jude xxx

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
Many thanks!

Thank you both for you encouraging posts.
I'm sure it won't be long before we get another dog. We have always had lots of animals in the family.
We're all going out for a drink after we see Dad tonight to have a drink for her.

Thanks all.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Karen
We have always had dogs or cats and it is always heart ache when we lose them.
We had to have our cat put to sleep 2 weeks ago and every day over and over I am asked where is the cat?
I miss the cat she was like a dog and was always with me.
T he only consolation to all this is I am not getting the sundowning,instead ! "Where is the cat"?
I am sure every one understands your sadness ata the loss of your dog
Best Wishes
Norman

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear karen
How i feel i know what you are going through - my dad (in a home in the late stages of AD) always looked after my elderly dog (retriever)while i was at work until AD took hold. Saturday we were at my sisters wedding my Cass was taken poorly ( has had a progressive neurological problem since Feb and given 6 - 9 months) and by Sunday morning was very poorly with a severe upset stomach. Took her to the vet expecting the worse - but shewas taken in for 2 days and has been sent home today - not very with it - but the vet said she had quality of life still - i beg to differ. The tears that were shed Sunday before going to the vets were of copious amounts by my 2 kids and myself - i still picture dad with her down the garden.
Back at vets on thursday - we'll see how things go.
I do have another young dog so i do have someone to walk and cuddle - but each of them have their own characters.
Thinking of you, Susan

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Sorry

Karen I'm really sorry to hear about your wee dog. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet. I know, because I lost my big alsatian some time ago. He was the best friend I ever had and I miss him til this day. I could never replace him with another (pet or human!). But I'm glad he was in my life.
Have a bloody good cry and wash out your heart.