Sad day has arrived

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
For the last five days my husband has been unable to recognise me. He is comfortable in my presence which is comforting but does not know who I am, why I am there or what I want! Has asked the Carers multiple times - "who is she?" They just say to me "its the progression of increasing dementia". I know that but it is still sad.

Today back to the snakes under the bed which I expect heralds another UTI for him to cope with, poor love.

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Oh dear this heartbreaking for you, I dread when this time will come with my Mum. Draw strength from the fact that he is comfortable when you are near long may it continue for you.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
how very very sad and hurtful for you...that is something I always dreaded with my mother but she knew me right to the end.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
However prepared we might think we are, it's always heartbreaking when we actually experience those moments.

At least your husband finds comfort in your presence. My mother used to refer to me as her friend, when she was still able to speak.

Early riser

Mar 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Don't give up.
My husband has been in a nursing home for 2 years. Many months ago that very sad day arrived when he stopped recognising me, but like your husband he felt comfortable with me even though after a few minutes he'd forgotten anyone was there!
On my last 2 visits he's been so excited and happy when I've arrived and reaches out to hold my hand.
Does he know who I am? I don't know and I'm not going to spoil it by asking him.
I'm just so happy to have him back, even though I know it won't be for long.
Best wishes

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Don't give up.
My husband has been in a nursing home for 2 years. Many months ago that very sad day arrived when he stopped recognising me, but like your husband he felt comfortable with me even though after a few minutes he'd forgotten anyone was there!
On my last 2 visits he's been so excited and happy when I've arrived and reaches out to hold my hand.
Does he know who I am? I don't know and I'm not going to spoil it by asking him.
I'm just so happy to have him back, even though I know it won't be for long.
Best wishes

Hello Early Riser - me too. These days I find myself pacing the kitchen at 5 a.m. filling time until I can go to the NH. I am so pleased for you that your Husband is so delighted to see you. Would he be able to tell you that he knows who you are? I feel so sad and frustrated but know I can do nothing about it so just hold his hand and make inane conversation hoping that somehow it invades his fog and maybe there will be some slight recognition.

Thanks for your comments. Best wishes

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
When Pete actually said the words 'who are you' it cut me to the core. I felt physically sick and dizzy. I don't know why as Pete, by that time, hadn't known me as his wife for some time.

Just to let you know I understand the shock when this happens

Take care

Lyn T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello WIFE

All might not be lost. Please don`t give up .

There was a period my husband didn`t know me but later on as his dementia progressed, I think he did. He seldom used my name and I didn`t put him on the spot to test him, but he always had a lovely smile for me and allowed close contact.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
All might not be lost. Please don`t give up .

There was a period my husband didn`t know me but later on as his dementia progressed, I think he did. He seldom used my name and I didn`t put him on the spot to test him, but he always had a lovely smile for me and allowed close contact.

Sylvia

Pete is giving me more smiles at the moment. Little ones as though he recognises my voice.

Chin up Wife- believe me though, I know how difficult things are

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Something to be thankful for Lyn. At least Pete knows you`re with him. It does`t make it much easier, just a little.