s 117 and care home choice

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
...or lack of choice! So I've been told about the two care homes roughly in our area which are contracted, both of which are huge, impersonal places. The smaller care homes charge well in excess of the budget they are allowing mum (460 a week). Does anyone know whether care homes will do a deal with the local authority for a lower rate? As I know this will be mum's home for the rest of her life I feel like I need to be choosy, but can't afford to topup by 800 a month which is what it would seem most of them would be.

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
I just wanted to empathise as we are in a similar position. We have identified a Home out of the three 'choices' given to us, but there are no beds available. The place we least liked have spaces of course, but we just don't want her going there. There are so few beds in general for the type of care Mum needs.
I am not sure if Homes will accept at a lower LA rate, but will be interested to see if anyone knows the answer to this. Hope you soon get sorted - it is a worrying time.Sorry not to be much help.

Purrdy

Feb 1, 2011
Kent
...or lack of choice! So I've been told about the two care homes roughly in our area which are contracted, both of which are huge, impersonal places. The smaller care homes charge well in excess of the budget they are allowing mum (460 a week). Does anyone know whether care homes will do a deal with the local authority for a lower rate? As I know this will be mum's home for the rest of her life I feel like I need to be choosy, but can't afford to topup by 800 a month which is what it would seem most of them would be.

Hello there. I'm am a daughter of a mum with Alzimers and I'm a prof carer so I see both sides.
We had the same problem and our local council tried to bully us into putting my mum in to a place which was unsuitable. There are a lot of private homes that will accept part payment from the LA and then you can top up, some homes will have small rooms or shared rooms to help get a cheaper rate. It's hard to take the step of re homing your loved one and if the place isn't right for them you will find it harder. Talk to the homes and try and get them to agree a rate, negotiate if you have to. It doesn't always work but you have to have the cheek of the devil otherwise you get nothing. Push your LA for more monies.
I find it very sad that not only do will have to see and deal with our loved ones in this state but also with LA and governments who don't want to Help us.

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
My mum is also on section 117 and I believe they can now top up from their own income (pensions etc). the question is of course whether they will take someone who has been sectioned.

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for your supportive comments. I literally feel I could cry with the frustration of it. I saw one of the contracted homes this afternoon, run by a nationally known company, and my first reaction was over my dead body. The staff seemed very nice but it just felt so cramped and lacking in any comfort or personality, the residents were all sitting around the outside of the room and the radio was blaring out. On the rebound from that I then stopped at a small care home in the same village my mum lives in, which I thought would be prohibitively expensive. In spite of a well worn air, it was homely with a lovely garden and has a place! They did suggest a shared room if finances are tight and I am definitely going to think it through. I am fairly sure if given the choice mum would say noway would she share a room, but the alternative is so awful I feel like I would be acting in her best interests. As it was the weekend the manager wasn't there, so I am going to call on Monday and negotiate to the best of my ability. Will let you know what happens....

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
That is interesting Karjo. Top ups from their own income, pensions etc. I shall be asking about this at our next meeting. I know the dishcharge officer spoke about the obligation on her to mention new rules involving 'top-ups' to us, and we wondered about that. But as you say, who is going to take a section 117? And would paying out extra money ensure the care is any better/guaranteed? I don't think it would be.
Jesskle, I can really empathise with how you are feeling. I am not sure about a shared room scenario though - purely because my mum wouldn't tolerate another in her room and would want to kick her out!
Really wishing you well Jesskle

Last edited:

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Thanks for your supportive comments. I literally feel I could cry with the frustration of it. I saw one of the contracted homes this afternoon, run by a nationally known company, and my first reaction was over my dead body. The staff seemed very nice but it just felt so cramped and lacking in any comfort or personality, the residents were all sitting around the outside of the room and the radio was blaring out. On the rebound from that I then stopped at a small care home in the same village my mum lives in, which I thought would be prohibitively expensive. In spite of a well worn air, it was homely with a lovely garden and has a place! They did suggest a shared room if finances are tight and I am definitely going to think it through. I am fairly sure if given the choice mum would say noway would she share a room, but the alternative is so awful I feel like I would be acting in her best interests. As it was the weekend the manager wasn't there, so I am going to call on Monday and negotiate to the best of my ability. Will let you know what happens....

My mum is in a shared room and to be honest I really dont think she minds. In fact I wanted to move her and the home said she is happy with the situation and to move her would be too confusing. She is never is her room anyway! Would be better to get your mum into a nice home sharing rather than a nasty one.