Rules for buying a sheltered accommodation flat post diagnosis

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
Hi All

Five years ago I moved my mum in to a sheltered accommodation flat near to me. At that time she had problems but we hadn’t had a diagnosis so we were able to buy her flat with the proviso that if she was diagnosed with dementia and the time came where she was a danger to herself or others then we would have to sell up.

I would love to move back home (200 miles from where I currently live) and obviously move my mum with us but I need to know if post diagnosis, we would be able to buy another sheltered accommodation flat. I know there is a lot to consider and I’m not even certain if it would be a good idea to move my mum now that she is settled but neither of us are particularly happy living down south so it is something I’d like to look in to, gather all the facts so I can make a measured decision. Does anyone know the general guidelines in regard to this matter or has anyone had any experience and moving a member of the family after diagnosis and how did it go? Did it work out well or should I put moving on hold for the time being? Any advise greatly received, thanks.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know about legalities in buying sheltered accommodation but as a rule I'd like to say that once dementia is in the mix they simply don't work well anymore, or only for a short time. Then the PWD will need more support and carers coming in or ideally living with family or in a care home situation with constant supervision. So even if you could buy another flat like this, think carefully - it's not a long-term prospect.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I moved my mum into a sheltered extra care flat pre official diagnosis but at a stage where she clearly had dementia and diagnosis was merely paperwork.

It was made clear to me that if mum's dementia symptoms posed a problem she would have to move.

My mum is in a social housing owned complex, her flat is shared ownership (what was available) and there are others which are owned out right and social rented.

I have always assumed next step from here is a care home.

Mum has settled in very well, and been there over 4 years with care upped progressively.

I suspect the only thing you can do is speak to providers in the area you are looking at, or look round them. In my area (Cheshire west) there is a lot of provision, not sure if the same applies elsewhere but if from scousemouse you are looking at Merseyside I think there are quite a few sheltered extra care flats in this area.