Rude awakening

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
MIL triggered the motion sensor at 6.45 this morning and I found her on her hands and knees half way from the house to the annexe. Managed to get her up and inside but she could hardly walk, shuffling really.

Then to my horror I began to realise that she’d been out there a long time. Her knees are a complete mess, hands and elbows scratched , very cold and talking gibberish. Her handbag and some clothes were in the garden, covered in frost :eek::eek::eek:

Looks as if she came out of her patio doors on her hands and knees which is how she avoided the motion sensor. She was up and wandering about inside at 2.30am when I got up to go to loo.

Himself called 999 whilst I changed her pyjama trousers, bathed her knees and the between us we managed to get her into bed wrapped in her fleece dressing gown, a fleece blanket and under her duvet to try and warm her up.

Ambulance was only a few mins and the paramedics were wonderful. She has hypothermia although not too bad considering how flipping cold it is here and the fact that we don’t know how long she’d been there, temp was just under 33 degrees.

Obviously her knees are a mess but the puzzling thing is that her blood sugar was very high at 11.3. The only thing that was missing was a chocolate roll that she had eaten sometime since I put her to bed at 10.30pm. :confused::confused:

I’m so glad that she’ll get a good checking over now. I just knew something was wrong earlier in the week when I wrote my previous thread but being so tired and wound up myself I didn’t trust my judgement and allowed myself to question if it was just me unable to cope.

Guess I won’t need that GP phone consultation in the morning :D

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh goodness. How awful. Your poor MIL. What a shock for you and your husband too. I hope she's ok.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear. What a shock for you.

This is what it can come to Margaret. You were right to have a feeling something was wrong.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Hi sorry to read about your shock. The blood sugar levels will be that sort of reading and a fair bit higher from shock of cold/hypothermia alone. Fear brings it up too. Hope they admit her for assessment as clearly their duty of care is for her safety and not penny pinching!
All the best for a good conclusion to hospital experience.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
gosh, what a worry. You couldn't do any more to keep her safe and well looked after than you already are.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Just back from hospital, they have kept her in.

Took 4 hours on heated blanket to warm her up. High blood sugar was from hypothermia as you said Oxy. Her knees are worst, goodness knows how long she was on them. She has frostbite :eek::eek: and they want her to see tissue viability team tomorrow.

She's very confused but they don't seem to be concerned about that, blood and urine tests are ok.

I'm really unsure where we go from here. Himself says lets wait and see tomorrow, I don't know how we can look after her in this state.

Will still ask GP for a re referral to Mental Health Team tomorrow to see if we can get an assessment quickly. Physically the district nurses will be in.

So a waiting game again. But for now I'm going to enjoy a peaceful evening and let someone else look after her.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear that really does sound like it will be difficult for you to carry on caring for her. I'm glad she is being kept in and I hope you manage to have some much needed rest.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I can't add anything helpful but wanted to say get well soon to your MIL and I hope you find a way forwards with this.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Well, she's home! Been asleep ever since, probably so she'll be up all night :eek:

Both legs bandaged but she seems to be moving ok, antibiotics as blood tests show infection but they don't know if it's the UTI that is on the way out or another one starting. District nurses coming tomorrow to change dressings so we'll have to see how we go.

GP was reluctant to re refer her to the MHT, said she could prescribe/tweek meds so we have to wait and see how MIL is for the next few days before she'll do anything.

On a really positive note I can't fault the treatment she had at our local (20 miles away) hospital. No waiting at A&E, they were ready to warm her up as soon as she arrived. Staff have been nothing but helpful and friendly. Nurse phoned last night as MIL was agitated looking for her handbag and wanted to know if it was there and had been lost (it wasn't).

Spoke to nurse this morning and she was saying that MIL had been wandering in the night and the nurse wandered with her! She also sat at the nurses station computer as she had "some work to do" :D:D

She was in a small observation unit attached to A&E - 4 rooms all with en suites and 2 members of staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they were really dementia aware and so friendly.

Feel very lucky to have had such good treatment when you hear of so many horror stories to do with NHS.

Now we just need to see what happens over the next few days.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
See it as a warning Margaret. Dhiren didn't stop trying to go out until he lost his mobility.