Roseann

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi to everyone.
I am new today and just wanted to say hello.
My husband was told in June that he had Alzheimers after several years of not knowing what was going on in his head and several bouts of depression so it was a relief when we were told but also a great shock.
At the moment we are coming to terms with what is going on and so I thought I would join the forum and maybe I would find out a bit more about what is happening to my husband and having someone who is coping with the same thing to talk to hopefully will help me understand.
Will speak again later and once again hi.
Roseann

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Roseann
welcome to TP...glad you found us....you'll find loads of help and support from the lovely people on here.You'll certainly find you're not alone even though it feels like it now!!
Keep posting
Take care
love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome - you will find much support and help here - some laughs and some sadness - but it is all to be shared when you want to.
I remember well when my husband was confirmed with Alz. nearly three years ago, although you know well before that. It is still a massive shock (so much so that my husband had a stroke that very weekend!).

Take care and very best wishes BeckyJan

zak

Sep 29, 2006
im a newby too

hi roseann welcome to the forum, im new yesterday too and understand how you feel. my dad has dementia and it is a shock we have not known long either. i have been reading the posts in the forum and i think we will be definately be meeting some very nice people who understand the issues we have look forward to being part of it.. looks like there will be loads of good advice and friendship.. take care. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Roseann and Zak. Welcome to TP.

My husband was dignosed with AD in August, last year. He too was very depressed. I kept the diagnosis from him for a while, but now he knows.

Sometimes, when his depression lifts, he thinks he is better, so he is shocked when either his depression returns, or his confusion or memory loss causes him to be upset.

Talking Point has been a life saver for me. Family and friends are kind and sympathetic, but tend to make comments that show they don`t really understand.
TP members will always know what you mean and how you feel.

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi everyone many thanks for your good wishes I am begining to feel at home already and look forward to talking to you all in the future. All the best Roseann

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Roseann

The initial diagnosis is a great shock and it takes a lot of courage to look into the future. It is now six years since Mary was diagnosed and looking back we have had some good times together and I am thankful for that. The art of survial (for that is what it is for us carers) is not to look to the future, which may only be the next day, but to live for the moment. Remember that you must look after yourself for if you are not on an even keel all is lost. AD is a cruel disease that impacts more on the carer than the afflicted in the long term so do keep in touch so that you can help us as much as we can help you. We are like drowning sailors who must cling together for survival.

Hugs

Dick

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Hi Roseann and Zak,

I've learnt so much from the TPers on this site! AD is such a confronting and confusing disease because it is a mental illness and therefore does not follow any predictable patterns. Just when you think you understand something, the scene changes again! By reading the forum letters I've felt much less confused about some of the constant challenges we face, and have even been able to reassure other family members about somethings, saying "I've read on the forum that this is quite common (or not unusual) in AD". I hope you find the same support for what is truly one of (if not THE) most challenging of life journeys!
Thinking of you both,
Nell

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1