roots

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
My dad years ago talked me out of emigrating, i had gone through a very traumatic time in my personal life and i felt emigrating would distance me enough to rebuild a new life. In the end i didnt go , my dad told me my roots would pull me back. Being young i couldnt grasp the the sentiment he meant. Now im wondering if the need to go home that dementia sufferers sometimes display is just that, their roots are pulling them back. Does anyone here think the same or ist it just me havering.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s a possibility chucky.

My husband pined for his roots, his uncles who brought him up after his father died, his brothers and his mother.

And so many TPers post about people wanting to return to their childhood homes, their roots.

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
I think we all sometimes get a longing for 'home' even if we are in good health, especially if it was a happy home. When life gets tough we sometimes hanker after long lost memories of a better time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think it is that home is where your parents were and where, if you were lucky, you felt safe. I'd love to return to the house where I grew up and, as yet, I don't have dementia.