Room needed for hospital bed and hoist

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I've already posted about my DH stay in hospital so won't go into detail here.

DH is due to be released from hospital but needs a downstairs bedroom. The hospital are going to supply a bed and hoist. I'm getting conflicting information about how much room is needed. Has anyone got this equipment at home and if so, what size room are they in.

Any help/advice would be great.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
When you say a hoist, do you mean a stand aid (portable hoist)? These require a fair amount of room when in operation and even when the legs are folded it's a challenge to park it out of the way.
A hospital bed is not a lot more bulky than a normal single bed. However, it's really about the space you need to manoeuvre in, especially if a wheelchair or commode is being used. I would say you need a double bedroom sized room.

Are you going to get a home visit from the OT? They are experienced at measuring spaces and identifying what equipment is needed, such as grab bars, walking frames or toilet adaptions.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
When you say a hoist, do you mean a stand aid (portable hoist)? These require a fair amount of room when in operation and even when the legs are folded it's a challenge to park it out of the way.
A hospital bed is not a lot more bulky than a normal single bed. However, it's really about the space you need to manoeuvre in, especially if a wheelchair or commode is being used. I would say you need a double bedroom sized room.

Are you going to get a home visit from the OT? They are experienced at measuring spaces and identifying what equipment is needed, such as grab bars, walking frames or toilet adaptions.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks Katrine. They haven't said about a home visit but going on what you've said I need to use the sitting room. Unfortunately our downstairs rooms are quite small but I was hoping to use the dining room as it has doors and views out to the back garden and less disruption.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Thanks Katrine. They haven't said about a home visit but going on what you've said I need to use the sitting room. Unfortunately our downstairs rooms are quite small but I was hoping to use the dining room as it has doors and views out to the back garden and less disruption.

Don't take my word for it, I don't know your house! Please ask for an OT visit. They are really helpful and have probably advised hundreds of people about just your situation.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Some hoists can be difficult to manoeuvre on some carpeted floors,check this out with OT.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Some hoists can be difficult to manoeuvre on some carpeted floors,check this out with OT.
Thanks Nitram. I had planned on taking the carpet up. Son is a carpet fitter so new flooring is never an issue.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Don't take my word for it, I don't know your house! Please ask for an OT visit. They are really helpful and have probably advised hundreds of people about just your situation.
You really just confirmed what I'd expected. I don't think they're going to send an OT out but having spoken to one they would need access to both sides of the bed so it does need to be the biggest room.