Ron seeing mental health doctor on Monday (again)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Can I ask any of you what is this for?
He last saw her in January, asked Ron load's of question's, asked him to copy drawing's she had done, (Ron could never draw).

And, I sopose, she will do the same test's again to establish if Ron has changed since she last saw him. What is this called? (the testing).
Last time, she explained, after Ron's scan and test's he could not take certain medicines, because he has a slight problem with his heart, an some pill's might cause problem's. And, there is also the Parkinson's.
Ron and I refused some pill's, the side effect's were not worth it.
We are muddling along.
There is no test for Parkinson's, they only know you have it after you are dead, and they take a slice of brain tissue. They, (the Doctor's also suspect that Ron has Lewy bodies, which is a form of demtia) again, they will only know with test's after Ron dies.
All I know is, THEY are not doing enough.
If any of you kind people can offer advice on what question's I should ask the Doctor on Monday, well I would be most greatfull.
Ron's social worker is still off ill, we only have seen him twice. Did not like him anyway.
Had a call from Carer's people two week's ago, said they would ring me last week, still waiting. Filled in a ton of form's, want to know everything, Ron's inside leg measurement (joke):)
And, I am at the moment doing battle with the tax man, they owe me money, and they do not want to give it back. Swines's:mad:
I am tired out of my skull. I want a holiday, Ron want's a holiday. Waiting for Ron's doctor to give the OK, from his MOT.
Otherwise, life is OK, not good, but OK.
BarbXX:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Barb

The test is the mini mental state exam - MMSE. There is a factsheet about it:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/436

You're right, it will be the same one as Ron took in January, they repeat it at intervals to check the rate of decline. The scores are between 0 and 30, and a score between 10 and 20 means the person is eligible for medication if they have AD. Obviously this doesn't apply to Ron, but they need to know how he is going.

The consultant should also talk to you on your own, to get your views, and you could ask his advice about getting more help.

You're also right that they can't give a definite diagnosis before death, but if the person has hallucinations, they tend to suspect Lewy Body Dementia. There's a fact sheet on that too:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/403

Let us know how you get on,

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
They, (the Doctor's also suspect that Ron has Lewy bodies, which is a form of dementia) again, they will only know with test after Ron dies.
All I know is, THEY are not doing enough.

They suspect ?

Just that OK they can't even tell if its AZ only after death , but they must know some brain damage is going on from the brain scan . so what part of his brain is effected in the brain with the brain damage for them to know he has Lewy bodes Dementia.

They go buy the symptoms.

I never question anything when they done brain scan on mum told me she had AZ. Then 6 years later they telling me mum got VD not AZ. I would love to have known how they came up with that conclusion from the brain scan she had, rather than just tell me it was AZ.

The hard fact of it no matter what type of dementia they have they no cure for it. When you’re told it’s a form of dementia. All they can do is giving them medication to slow it down, if that does not work or they can’t take it like in your case. They can do no more than just Monet the progression so can up the support from Social service that you may be receiving, if it’s not in place & social services are taking too long. The person that doing the memory test can send they report stating how it’s progressing to social services so stating that you need more support in helping your husband at home with you. Tell them at clinic what more support you need at home & social services are taking too long in getting you the help.

But you are lucky to have them sending you the appointment only after having it done in January , keep going to them because as it all progresses they know ( SS ) when to up the support for you if you need it, if you both want to except the help that is .

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Thank's Hazel & Margirita

I just wonder if it is even worth the visit to this Doctor, don't get me wrong, she is very nice.
But I have to get Ron up very early, to wash and dress etc. And then I have to get myself ready. Then there is the drive, and parking.
And, you know, all it will confirm is- well, what I already know.
And, do I want it rubbing in anymore - NO.
I do not think I want to know what stage Ron is at.
I know he is 84 this year, going on, well by the look of him 65/70.
What to do ?
Thank's for reply's
BarbX:)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Sorry Margarita

Spelling, not a good point of mine.:eek: Spelt your name wrong. Appologies.
Love BarbX

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Silvia, Ron is sat with me now as I speak

Ron said Hi, he think's what you have said is a good idea. So we will go on Monday, and let us see what happen's.

Ron said nite nite now, he is going to bed. I on the other hand, am not.
And, Silvia, that was Ron.:D
Barb & Ron xx

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
I know I haven't met you, but nite, nite Ron and sleep tight - hope he has a good one Barb.

Margarita (sorry can't work out how to do the quote thing) [I never question anything when they done brain scan on mum told me she had AZ. Then 6 years later they telling me mum got VD not AZ. I would love to have known how they came up with that conclusion from the brain scan she had, rather than just tell me it was AZ.] - when my mum had her scan the consultant told me that she'd had a stroke at some time, hence the vascular dementia, but her brain had also shrunk more than it should have done for someone her age, and that was a sign of Alzheirmers. So she has 'mixed dementia'. Hope that helps.

I agree that you should go to the doctor if possible. I know it's a drag. Mum kept going on about 'I expect they'll ask me a load of questions again'. I just told her it's something they have to do so they can work out the best way of helping her. She's currently on Reminyl. What I didn't do was suggest any of the questions they might ask because I know she was fishing for answers. My husband told me his nan used to try to guess the questions and practice the answers so she got them right!! That must have been in the early stages.
It was from the drawings that they were able to work out that she was having problems with visual awareness which might account for things like not seeing her handbag and thinking it's lost when it's staring her in the face. What her eyes are seeing is being jumbled in her brain and the message comes out wrong. For example, she's perfectly aware what a clock looks like and can tell the time but she couldn't write in the numbers round the edge of a circle to draw a clock face - they went down the centre of the circle. And as for drawing in the hands to show the time at 10 to 11 she simply wrote the numbers 10 and 11 at the bottom of the circle.

Well I'm off to the land of nod too. I must get some earlier nights, but this site is addictive. Nite all.

Chris

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Chris H, can any of us find out handbag when it is right in front of us? I can't! Sorry, I know what you meant.

Barb, can I help with the tax refund - I am an accountant. Please send a private message if you want help. If you have it under control and are just getting nowhere, send your next letter with a copy to your MP and label the letter to the revenue with "INVOLVING MY MP IN THIS". Your MP might be no use, but it doesn't half speed up the Revenue in replying to you.

Much love

Margaret

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
There is no definitive, physical test for many types of dementia. Only direct examination of the brain in an autopsy. As I understand it the exception is damage to the brain caused by a stroke. This may be done to eliminate this as a cause of problems and even then the damage may be too subtle to show up.

This is why the diagnosis of dementias like Alzheimer's relies on looking at the symptoms and patient history. Even this is very difficult because each patient has a unique reaction, as different parts of the brain are affected. For example, language may be lost but numerical skills remain, etc.

I am sure that doctors would love to have something like a blood-test, which comes back from the lab saying "you have/don't have Alzheimers" - but they don't.

Much the same is true of Parkinson's. My mum was given a scan to eliminate stroke damage as a cause of her symptoms, but there was none, so the answer was that the most likely cause was Parkinson's.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Thank you all

I cannot get my head round the quote thing either.
I manage to copy and paste, but that is all.
Will let you know after our visit tomorrow what the outcome is.
Barb & Ron:)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Barb,

Catching up with things..

I'm so pleased you're going to see the doctor with Ron tomorrow..in the future could you not ask for a later appointment?

It's so important that you let them know at this appointment how things are for you BOTH..and be honest..

Am thinking of you both and hope all goes well for you

Love gigi xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Ron's MMSE Score today

Well we went to see the Doctor.

It was not his lady Doctor, she is ill. So Ron saw a man.
Did the test (I thought Ron did well). Although, Ron had trouble with the Doctor's accent, so I had to repeat evey word. The Doctor understood, and it was he who asked me to repeat all his question's. That's another tip I picked up from this Forum.

I asked again why Ron cannot have a drug to improve his memory, and again was told because of his heart, the problem's it would cause, outweigh the benefit's.

Since Ron had his test in January, I have reduced his intake of Modopar (Parkinson drug) this was causing the dream's etc. I also took him off Lorazepam, made him worse.
Ron's score in January was 22
Today (Trumpet's blow) 25.
Is that good? please someone tell me it is.
Because our holiday is calling.
We are both on a high.
Love to you all
Barb& Ron:)PS
Ron still cannot draw for toffee.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If it helps Barb, Dhiren`s first score in 2005 was 23 and his last score in January this year was 20.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Barb, I don't think there IS a drug to improve the memory but meds like Aricept can support it (or slow the rate of decline) for a while.

Congratulations to Ron on his improved test result! Perhaps the modifications of dosage you mention have helped him think more clearly.

Whatever the reason, have a brilliant holiday, you both deserve it.

Bon Voyage

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ron's score in January was 22
Today (Trumpet's blow) 25.
Is that good? please someone tell me it is.

That's good, Barb, that's very good!:)

In fact, it's so good that even if Ron didn't have a heart condition, his score would be too high for medication!

PS
Ron still cannot draw for toffee.

After his language deteriorated, drawing was the only part of the test that John could do!

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Just re read all your post's again

I have had so much support from all of you.
ALL of you.
Thank's
BarbXXXX:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN