Romance in care homes - your experiences

Sarahf

Apr 3, 2007
London
Former Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s husband, who is living with dementia in a care home, has been in the media this week because he has started a romance with another woman. Mrs O'Connor is thrilled because it is a relief to see her husband of 55 years so content.

At the Alzheimer's Society press office, we are really interested in this issue and would like to hear from people with personal experience. If this is something you have experience of and would be interested in sharing please contact Sarah on 0207 423 3593 or email sarah.fenlon@alzheimers.org.uk.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
I was watching the NBC Nightly News over the internet at the weekend, when this story appeared on their broadcast. If I hadn't read of similar experiences before, I don't know how I would have reacted to this story.

The following page on the MSNBC website should have a link to the actual story on video (about a 2.5 minute clip):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21773097/

Here's a report in print:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-20-alzheimers-relationships_N.htm

As my father-in-law is still cared for at home, we haven't had any first-hand experiences ourselves.

Take care,

Sandy

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
A little happiness in a world of A.D.

On the day that Peter who is 62 was admitted to the E.M.I. Unit, a lady in her 80's came up and held his handand he gave her such a lovely smile and they proceeded to walk down the corridor together. I could not remeber the last time he looked at me that way. The Staff Nurse must have read my face. Don't worry she does that to all the new men. I was gutted. My gently, shy, husband. A couple of days later, I went to his room - not there. He was in her room and I gently walked him back to his room. On a later visit and this was when he was still able to speak said that b*****y woman is a nuisance. What if it had been a young sexy girl ??? Thank God it wasn't but as long as they have company and are not stressed out, I would not want to take that away from them. A.D. has already taken soo much from them. A little happiness is there terrible illness.
Christine