rolling review?

HomeAlone

Jun 30, 2010
mum, went into residential care home on monday, after ive looked after her for 6 years, the sw came as an emergancy call out on monday, and within 2 hours, found mum placement...now my question is...who funds this? does she? as noone has talked finances as yet..i must say..what a rollarcoaster of emotions this has set off in me, but now as we reach end of week 1...i am feeling like a huge weights been lifted from me...and mum seems to accept where she is and seem relaxed happy and pleased to see me..:)its going better than i could have ever hoped for, now all i have to worry over is , the finances,i visited today, and wow ! what a relief..i was just about at breaking point this time last week...now:D

Charlie23

Jul 19, 2010
Wales
I'm not sure about the finance but I am pleased it seems to be going well for you having mum in there... I hope the finance works out as positive, am sure someone will be along to help soon xx

HomeAlone

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not sure about the finance but I am pleased it seems to be going well for you having mum in there... I hope the finance works out as positive, am sure someone will be along to help soon xx
thankyou for your kind words :)really the relief i feel is immence..and the other issue can wait

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi HomeAlone,

Well, first of all breathe a huge sigh of relief that mum is settled so quickly, cos that is a major problem for many of us.

Finances. Well, it should have been discussed with you and the Social Worker assigned to her case, prior to her being accepted into the care home. Indeed you should have been given a choice of care homes with details of their fees.

If your mother has no house that she owns, and only a small amount of savings, and a small pension, then she will be fully funded by the State, and if she happy in the home, then you are extremely lucky and make the most of it!

But someone along the line should have asked you about her finances.

Margaret

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
I'm so pleased for you that the practical side of things is going so well.

It's what we all hope for and don't always get.

I really do hope the financial side of things works out just as well.

Do let us know how it goes. We love these positive posts.

Hugs,

Maggie

HomeAlone

Jun 30, 2010
I'm so pleased for you that the practical side of things is going so well.

It's what we all hope for and don't always get.

I really do hope the financial side of things works out just as well.

Do let us know how it goes. We love these positive posts.

Hugs,

Maggie

Thankuou all for your kind words and help, mum will be self funding, im sure...i looked after her for 6 years, on my own, and i dont regard myself as lucky , to have my own health and wellbeing compromised to such an extent, that only then......do i get an emergancy placement. but love conquers most things in life:)and im VERY grateful she seems happy, peacful and ok about being in the home..they even managed to bathe her !!:eek:somthing she refused for 3 years prior...shes positively glowing:)! and admitted she enjoyed the bath

catbells

Jun 14, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Hi, I`m in a similar position but Mum not in home yet. I am confused as to which type of home I should be looking at. In Peterborough we have extra care plus units that house semi-secure placements- residential homes and nursing homes. Social worker says I asked for assessment for extra care, if I`m looking at nursing home (there is one just nearby that would take her into a "nursing area" then as the condition progresses would be transferred into their more secured area - this sounds ideal, relatives can visit anytime, they support relatives as well as patients. I`m going to look at it within the next few days). its a totally different ball game - deeper assessment. Confused. I know I need to speak to a number of care homes to guage what would be the best thing to do. Like you my Mum has little savings and lives in social housing sheltered accommodation. We are planning to go to panel end of Sept following memory test so that we all know what level we are at.

So releived for you. I would hope the transition to care home whichever is chosen goes as smoothly as yours. I`m still feeling very guilty as I make the preparation and plans and dread the day she moves. But I take one day at a time.

x Heather