Rolling out of bed..falls..

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Again,my mum has rolled,and fallen out of bed,she is more active but not awake as such more like dreaming or hallucinating,but this becoming more frequent and she is covered in bumps,bruises which aren't always apparent until a few days after,it looks like she has been in a rugby match at the moment..

Last week I called the paramedic to help get her up,as I heard her land with a thud from the front room next door.
He got mum up,checked her over and she thankfully was fine,although she has some terrible bruises that I've been putting comfrey ointment on..

Tonight,I heard her fall again,she had wedged herself between her bed and a chest of drawers,I asked her to hold my hands so I could pull her to a sitting position,so then help her circumnavigate using the bed grab rail to get up.. She was shouting get off,you've bashed me up and your trying to kill me,which she has accused me of in previous confabulations,and the first time she said it a year or so ago,i was so upset and devastated-but from reading posts on here,I've learnt such confabulations are aimed at those nearest and dearest to them..I'm slowly becoming used I suppose to it now,if I ever can be,but it hurts and I took it personal again tonight..

So,mum wasn't cooperating,and I had to wake my eldest daughter up to help me get mum up..
She wasn't hurt,but clearly in the middle of a huge hallucination,and was demanding I got the surgeon out to mend her!
I said,the ambulance crews were very busy as it's Friday night and they would be a long time coming if at all..
We got her up and onto her bed-I made sure she wasn't in any serious pain,other than her new shiny bruises waiting to come out,but I have hurt my back from a very old injury,broke my coccyx and pinched nerve,which I had hoped wouldn't give out on me..
Run out of coffee,tonight of all nights and really wanting a cigarette too,although I've been packed up a year,I vape now,and it's not having the desired effect at all...
I guess what I'm asking is,the how long is a piece of string type question..
How long does this night time over activity phase carry on for and how do you coped with all it entails.?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I don't think I'll be of much help but wanted to send you one of these
hugs-desi-glitters-32.gif

If you're in the UK , It might be a good idea to have the OT (occupational therapist) out, the GP can arrange a visit to see what equipment they can provide that may help.

I'm thinking of things like a hospital bed as they can be lowered down nearer the floor and a protective mat Sorry don't what they are called , my brain is only half awake atm :D
that would cushion her fall . their are also devises that can alert you when she gets out of bed, some go on the floor some in the bed

I'd also tell the OT about your back problem

Personally, I don't think cot sides would be a good idea , as being so active I feel its likely your mum will do her best to clamber over them

I hope others will be along later with better ideas

Last edited:

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Oh Lin, Thank you,I really need a hug,I appreciate you replying..
Just been to check on my mum,last check she was fine at 2am,but now
I've found her sitting -asleep at the bottom of her bed,all bedding off and contents of her drawers all over..
I've gotten her on to the top of her bed,and covered her up..
Yes,your ideas are good,I have had a bed sensor-well two side by side because mum has s double bed,it worked for a while but mum found it and twisted the little box off..
Her bed is a really old one from the 60,s a very low in height,but I'm liking the suggestion of a hospital bed and I will try to get hold of an OT too..

I'm off back to sleeping on the sofa again(I know,not good with my back but y'know.! ) I feel so on edge and 'meh' and no coffee in to perk us up..xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was actually going to suggest the same as Lin has, so will just say, best of luck! ((((Hugs))))

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
You can refer yourself to the OT (at least, you can in our area), don't have to go via the GP. I just rang the adult services team, number on our council website.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Again,my mum has rolled,and fallen out of bed,she is more active but not awake as such more like dreaming or hallucinating,but this becoming more frequent and she is covered in bumps,bruises which aren't always apparent until a few days after,it looks like she has been in a rugby match at the moment..

Last week I called the paramedic to help get her up,as I heard her land with a thud from the front room next door.
He got mum up,checked her over and she thankfully was fine,although she has some terrible bruises that I've been putting comfrey ointment on..

Tonight,I heard her fall again,she had wedged herself between her bed and a chest of drawers,I asked her to hold my hands so I could pull her to a sitting position,so then help her circumnavigate using the bed grab rail to get up.. She was shouting get off,you've bashed me up and your trying to kill me,which she has accused me of in previous confabulations,and the first time she said it a year or so ago,i was so upset and devastated-but from reading posts on here,I've learnt such confabulations are aimed at those nearest and dearest to them..I'm slowly becoming used I suppose to it now,if I ever can be,but it hurts and I took it personal again tonight..

So,mum wasn't cooperating,and I had to wake my eldest daughter up to help me get mum up..
She wasn't hurt,but clearly in the middle of a huge hallucination,and was demanding I got the surgeon out to mend her!
I said,the ambulance crews were very busy as it's Friday night and they would be a long time coming if at all..
We got her up and onto her bed-I made sure she wasn't in any serious pain,other than her new shiny bruises waiting to come out,but I have hurt my back from a very old injury,broke my coccyx and pinched nerve,which I had hoped wouldn't give out on me..
Run out of coffee,tonight of all nights and really wanting a cigarette too,although I've been packed up a year,I vape now,and it's not having the desired effect at all...
I guess what I'm asking is,the how long is a piece of string type question..
How long does this night time over activity phase carry on for and how do you coped with all it entails.?

Hi!

Has your mum been diagnosed with rapid eye?..A sleep disorder that certain types of dementia can get??

My dad was the same and I asked the consultant after reading about it..as my dad was falling out of bed..re enacting all sorts..

He was taking his fall alarm of his wrist.
He was diagnosed with the sleep disorder. Given medication to help.
Took two increases to get to point where it's better...but was worth it as we never knew where or how he'd be in the night...

Best wishes

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Lin,Spamar,Slugsta,Henfaewych

I hope I spelt everyone's name correctly-have lost my specs so I'm squinting!
Thanks for your replies guys,I'm going to update my post at some point if not later,then over the weekend hopefully,feel totally wiped out and very low at present-I truly think mum has Lewy Body Dementia,rather than the vascular/mixed Alzheimer's-if not then a combination of all three!
Contacted the cpn on Weds as a matter of urgency,the clomethiazole that had been given mum two weeks prior hadn't worked at all and was making her so much worse,so much so that mum spent two nights on the floor for her own safety,after continuous moving about her bed and in her sleep trying to get up with her eyes shut-she was in the type of R.E.M behaviour all night-covered with cuts and bruises and a few skin tears that I cleaned and dressed,only for her to rip them off,along with her drainage bag-absolute night horrors not terrors I can easily say..
CPN said memory clinic had sent new prescription for mum to replace the previous new ones that hadn't worked.. After the GP and pharmacy messing me about waiting for the prescription and a lot of me chasing everyone up to do their job,finally got her tablets today,and I'm not a person of faith,but I'm praying to whoever up there,these work or I will be seriously on the way to mental/physical exhaustion!

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks so much Spamar,I need/needed them .

I'm waiting for the cpn to contact me sooner rather than later today I hope..

My mums fast on still,(if only I was!)
I think her sleep behaviour is the main thing that needs to be dealt with at moment..
She has been showing more signs of DLB than ever,a tremor in her right hand has become more apparent,and she verges in and out of hallucinations-seeing little girls or babies that aren't real,to smelling things that aren't real,to the most wildest confabulations (mainly in the evening when its sun downing time)

Accusations aimed at me and eldest daughter are the most upsetting part of the day and the lack of sleep and the restless legs/rem behaviour is the worst part at night..
She removes her pull ups every night,but she has a flip flow valve in again instead of the catheter bag so she can't damage herself by pulling it out again.. Doesn't stop her opening the valve (as she does do)and soaking the bed once the pull ups are off, I'm really hoping the cpn/Dr will come up with the right medication this time,I'm not convinced that the trazodone is helping mum either..
Will hopefully get some contact from them this week before I lose the plot!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh heavens!
I haven't got any good ideas, never had to deal with that. Little children, yes, been there, done that! And it went on for ages. Just hen you think it's all over, up it pops again!
Unfortunately no idea with the rest of it. Change of meds? Less coffee? (Worked for OH, but he wasn't as bad as your mum) good luck with cpn.
Hugs always available!

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Yes,it's an awkward one,I think additional health problems in with any type of dementia are hard enough..
As for change of meds,yes I think it needs to be done,trial and error,mainly error lately,but there's nothing else to try..
And coffee,well I haven't made mum one of those for about 2 years,she used to like one in the morning,but I didn't want to have the jitters when she was first seeing Drs and the like,just so I could say,ruled out caffeine before you tell me to!
It's me that's got coffee for blood at the moment,I don't know what I would do without it!
Have been reading a little on the net about restless leg syndrome and other traits of dementia with Lewy bodies,it does fit my mums symptoms and looking way back,mum always did have vivid dreams even though she was an avid reader of the horror/science fiction/mystery genres..she can't follow TV anymore and I can't read to her now as she would only become more confused.. It's b****y hard this disease..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69