Role of CPN

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Mum is finally getting a visit by CPN this week after 1 year of waiting!
Apparently he is to visit together with a doctor. What I would like to know is what exactly is the role of the CPN now we have one in place. We need to know what is expected of the CPN to ensure mum gets the correct treatment.

Mum does seem to be getting worse some days as she moves things around all the time (milk in TV cabinet tinned foodstuffs on bookshelves etc!) She also puts her clothes in the bin and lses her teeth and hearing aid on a daily basis. We wondered if maybe her medication could do with "tweaking" as she has been prescirbed since last May and the meds have ever changed at all.

The problem is if she finds out we have arranged a CPN she will go berserk! and start saying she can look after herself etc. We had carers coming in 3 times a day but she refused to let them in and shouted out of the window that she was OK and didn't need help. So we had to let them go.

If it was not for a relative calling in daily mum would live in the same clothes day in day out, without washing them, would never bathe or eat , or tidy round hoover/ polish or mop the floor as she simply does not seem to see the need for any of these things now. She doesn't see anyone is what she usually says so why should she wash her hair !!!

(I work full time unfortunately and cannot afford to give up my job but would at the drop of a hat if I could afford to)
If anyone can shed light on what is to be expected of the CPN please let me know.
Thanks
Maggier

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
My angel!

Maggier,

I had never heard of a CPN until last December when my husband was in hospital being assessed for frontotemporal dementia. At a case meeting I was introduced to my CPN and had to ask what/who she was and her role.

She told me she was to support the whole family and would co-ordinate anything she felt was needed or necessary. That is what she has done since then.

Initailly she visited my husband at home every week chatting to him, even gardening with him to try and make him comfortable with her. She would always find time to talk to me on my own to check 'my version' of anything she had been told. She booked appointments with the consultant, arranged time allocation sitting hours for me, checked how our children were coping. She reduced her visits to fortnightly after a month but kept in touch by phone.

She then set up a new support group for younger sufferers (Peter is only 52) primarily with Peter in mind and meets him weekly again at our local resource centre where she is based. They have lunch together most weeks so she can see how he is doing. She also pestered our one & only day centre for younger people at least twice a week until they gave Peter a place.

She advised me about claiming carer's allowance. community charge rebate, freedom travel pass (London only) and gave me tel numbers for local support groups.

She is on the end of a phone and I wouldn't hesitate to ring her about any aspect of Peter's care. Quite simply, she has been my guardian angel through very dark times and I could not have coped without her (still couldn't probably).

I really hope your CPN turns out to be as invaluable to you - they can make a huge difference to you. Knowing there is someone to ask for help is a godsend.

Good luck! Let us know how your meeting goes.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
She is on the end of a phone and I wouldn't hesitate to ring her about any aspect of Peter's care

I have one for my brother CPN , his also his care coordinator , even thought I do not have one for my mother , as I use to have a dementia nurse for a few mouths , his a great help & is always at the end of the phone to listen , about Mum & my brother .

My mother also would not want to talk to one , so I find CPN more help full for me , on any issue I have with my mother .

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Maggier,

I have had experience of a CPN with my Mum and found her as supportive to me as to Mum (perhaps even more so). She is someone I can call up if I am unsure about anything which is so reassuring. I hope you are as lucky as I have been.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Mum and Dad's CPN is/was great. I say that because they have recently gone into permanent care and will have another CPN, whom I haven't yet met.

My understanding is that a CPN is there to help and support the patient and carers, he/she also liases (sp) with the consultant psychiatrist, social workers, day centres etc and anyone else involved in the care of the suffer.
The CPN was attached to the elderly mental health team and in an emergency, if not the assigned CPN, there was always someone on duty, whom I could phone

Our CPN went to visit Mum and Dad every time they went for respite, to make sure there were no problems and to assess how they were coping.

It is good to get a CPN involved

Hope this helps
Alfjess