Rocky Road

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's today, the consultant was very sensitive in the way he told her and gave us lots of information. We have been allocated a dementia link worker who will visit us at home. Also the CPN who conducted the memory test in December will be visiting us at home. The consultant has recommended that she be given donepezil but he checked her pulse and said that as she had a very slightly irregular heart beat that she should have an ECG first. So we have our feet on the beginning of our rocky road.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There's little to make it easier for you reedysue but I'm glad you've found Talking Point at such an early stage. It's a tough road to travel .

I do hope your mum will be fit to take donepezil and it will agree with her.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's good to hear that the consultant was so sensitive. It's great that the post diagnosis link worker and the CPN will also be involved. Have you made contact with your local branch of Alzheimer Scotland? If not it might be an idea to see what activities they have on offer to suit your mum. Our local branch is excellent.

Last edited:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome, reedysue, although I'm sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis. This is a lovely place to come to for support, so do keep posting, anything and everything, and you will get lots of helpful advice from the very generous members x

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Sorry your mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Its good you are getting some support and finding TP so early will help too. As Izzy said check out Alz Scot website and find a Memory cafe near you because you can get lots of help and support through the cafe.

Carol

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Thank you for all of you supportive comments, I will be looking into the available activities in our area but as we are 40 miles from the nearest large town I do not think there will be much on offer. So far mum seems to have accepted what the consultant said and is willing to accept any help that is needed.

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
My Mum was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's over 3 years ago, but we noticed the symptoms about 4 years ago. She couldn't have any medication because of a burst duodenal ulcer that she had a few years previously. She has got worse, but slowly and at least she hasn't had to deal with any side affects. Her diagnosis helped me to have a bit more patience knowing that the repetition and forgetfulness was due in the most part to the Alzheimer's and not just lack of concentration or bad hearing (she does have 2 hearing aids).

She objected to the Early Intervention Nurse coming round and refused to do a second memory test. Occasionally when she gets upset because she can't remember things I've told her that she has Alzheimer's. Her response was " Have I?". We've been attending the local Dementia Cafe since November and surprisingly she enjoys it.

Take the opportunity to attend any courses that you are offered. I have found them useful, but have probably learnt more from this forum!

It's a long road and I know that we have a lot further to travel.:(

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I took mum to the solicitor today to arrange POA for finance, health & welfare which should be ready by the end of the week for her to sign. In the end it was easier to persuade her than I thought it would be (I only had to mention LA & SS). The solicitor explained it very clearly and said she was happy to witness it as mum had understood. The cost is going to be £358 but as mum did not want anyone she knew to be a witness she was happy to pay this. I am much less stressed since the diagnosis as I can now blame dementia rather than mum's temper for her flare-ups. I know this is only the beginning of the road but we seem to be getting organised.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
That's good you got the POA done early. Depending on your Mum's age you can claim DLA or Attendance allowance, also a reduction in council tax.

Your local CAB office can help with filling in forms. We also have money matters at our council office that have helped me with filling in these forms.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The link worker you have been allocated should be able to help you with forms such as AA and council tax. Ours was lovely and gave a lot of advice. If you can get to any Alz groups it will be good for both of you to meet people who share your experiences and who might have other solutions. If your Mum can access a day centre she will enjoy the company too and take some of the stress from you. It is not at all old ladies sitting about sleeping. At my husband's they have entertainers and dancing, trips out for a pub lunch, drives to places of interest.

Apparently John was dancing with his cap on the other day and when it fell off he had two biscuits hidden inside!

I hope for a positive outcome for you both and let us know how things go.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Thank you for you responses, I am told that mum is entitled to attendance allowance and a reduction in council tax and that the link worker will be able to advise us. I think that I would have to tie mum up and knock her out to get her to any day care or groups, she would definitely resist any suggestion of these.

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
Thank you for you responses, I am told that mum is entitled to attendance allowance and a reduction in council tax and that the link worker will be able to advise us. I think that I would have to tie mum up and knock her out to get her to any day care or groups, she would definitely resist any suggestion of these.

Same with my Mum, every time someone recommends a day centre or groups she refuses, prefers her tv and biscuits at the moment