RNCC paid from date of assessment or date of request?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Can someone point me in the right direction? I am 99% sure I have read something official that indicates that the nursing care contribution should be paid from the date of the assessment request rather than the assessment date, but for the life of me I can't find it. I've just got my mother's most recent care bill and they've indicated that they have recieved the funds from the assessment date. To be honest, I have no real confidence that they are right: I've only just discovered that I having been paying my mother's fees into the wrong bank account (right company wrong account) for the past 3 months. I would have though that they would have got a bit tetchy about having not apparantly being paid but they seem quite unconcerned so I think their accounting procedures leave something to be desired.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry I can`t help jennifer, but things are looking up, if the nursing care contribution is paid from the date the assessment was requested.

I hope you are right.

Love xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've just looked again at the letter I got from the NHS. That says
"RNCC Contribution: £83.00 per week, increasing to £87.00 per week from 01/04/2007"

I don't think they would have put that on there if their intention was only to pay it from the date of assessment, which was 16/05/2007, do you? I think this sounds like a nursing home accounting problem.

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The only dates on it was the date of assessment (16/05/2007), and the date of the nursing home admittance. The envelope is postmarked 6th June. What do you mean wrong, exactly?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jennifer, I don't know anything about NCC, but it could be that the rules have changed.

I do know Attendance Allowance used to be paid from date of application. Now, it's paid from date of assessment, and they don't do the assessment until 6 months after application, 'incase there is an improvement'!:eek:

The figures they quote could be just the rates that apply, the change date is the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Don't know, just thoughts.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Don't get me started on the iniquities of Attendance Allowance! I get your point about the fiscal year, but since the evaluation wasn't done until after the fiscal year, why would they put it on there? I can see I'm going to have to do some more research: It may have changed but I am also almost certain that that's what the nursing home nanager told me as well. If I get a definitive answer I'll post it here. To be honest, I like the people at my mother's nursing home, but if I ran a business the way they run theres (and this is a relative large company) I'd be down the drain in a week. I guess because it IS such a big company they have the ability to withstand a negative cash flow.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry Jennifer, couldn`t get back to you. Dhiren was going through a lapse. Now he has another one, that`s twice today.

I read it again, and there was nothing wrong with it, I just wasn`t sure the first time around. I read `increasing to`, as written in the future tense, whereas it was simply a statement.

Fat lot of help I`m being. Sorry.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No problem. This is driving me absolutely nuts because, as I said, I'm sure I've read it somewhere. All I have beeen able to find is guidance from specific councils indicating that in their area RNCC is backdated to the admission date, but nothing from the NHS itself. I could have sworn (but I would have been wrong) that it was in the booklet Your guide to RNCC or whatever it's called but noooo.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Bumping this to the top because I have no been told that no, it goes from the date of assessment. I'm still convinced I read somewhere that this was not the case, so if anyone could point me another direction I would appreciate it.

On a rather more depressing note, I spoke to my mother's former domicialliary care manager this morning who tells me that my mother has lost interest in everything. This contradicts (in spirit if not name) what I have been told by the care staff which is that she is much the same.

The guilt monster is firmly jumping up and down on my back at the moment: I feel like I'm wading through molasses trying to get information, and when I do get the information, it turns out not to be particularly reliable.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jennifer, I've nothing to offer you but sympathy. It must be so difficult, caring from a distance.

But get rid of that guilt monster. You are doing everything you can. Your family needs you, and you have ensured that your mum is cared for and safe.

It must be terribly frustrating getting conflicting information. Whose version are you inclined to believe?

Try not to worry too much, and take care.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Unfortunately, I think Margaret (the domicilliary care manager) is more likely to be accurate: 1) she has no reason not to be and 2) she's known my mother the longest so would recognise the changes.

I simply don't know what to do (about my mother not doing so well - the rest is just money).

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Is your mum settled where she is, and as happy as she can be?

If she is, I wouldn't think of moving her because you are not getting accurate reports. They may just be trying not to worry you.

Does Margaret visit regularly, and does the home know that she is reporting to you? Perhaps if you opened that channel of communication they might be more inclined to give a truer picture.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's a slight odd situation - Margaret is employed as domicilliary care manager by the home for those residents who are (as my mother was) in the extra care housing on site. Her office is 5 doors down from my mother's room so she sees her quite frequently.

I think they are trying not to worry me - after all it's not unexpected that she would be slowly slipping (she's 90 after all). However, it just makes me wonder if she IS as happy as she could be, or if they're going through the motions. I think I'll call Margaret tomorrow to speak to her specifically: today it was just a brief conversation while I was waiting for someone else to come on the line.

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Very interesting Maggie, from 2 different points 1) Come October she should get the higher rate and 2) the information on buying care annunities is very timely. Mind you I'll be seriously irritated if the 3 month review ups her to the existing higher rate, only to find it dropping in October. Oh well.

Actually, although one part of me says "it's just money" the other part keeps thinking - well if I knew how much money I'd need to maintain her in the nursing home etc, then I could use the extra (assuming there was any) to visit more frequently while she's still alive, which surely would be of benefit to her. However, it's how long is a piece of string again.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I'd need to maintain her in the nursing home etc, then I could use the extra (assuming there was any) to visit more frequently while she's still alive

Good point , but all done and dusted now . Just like to say Just don't know how you cope mentally, with all the stress, worry when you get phone call like you have said above .

I done it for a year in 05 with my mother sister who was in Gibraltar very ill all I could think of was I am going to get that dreaded phone call , then I would jump on plan got they stay a while then she was OK & that was only for a year .

How long is it now your mother has been ill ?

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
September 2005 (I think).

I'm just about ready to run away to the circus - I've just picked up the car from the repair place: front wheel and the wheel rim damaged by a *expletive deleted* pot hole PLUS one of the back tyres had a 2" nail in it. I couldn't do the trapeze but I'm darn sure I could do the clown thing - what is it? Lauging on the outside, crying on the inside? Definitely the reverse anyway. So stupid - there I was, standing in the repair shop with tears streaming down my face - fortunately the owner's wife, who I know quite well, has a mother with dementia in a nursing home so she knows where I'm coming from.

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Jennifer, last straw, I guess. I just don't know what to say. You're in a hellish situation, and there just aren't any answers.

Good cry tonight, extra pill, good sleep, talk to Margaret tomorrow.

And stay on TP. You've got lots of friends here.

Love,